Bottom oil drain plug

5 replies to this topic
  • JS426

Posted August 03, 2004 - 11:02 AM

I have read all the previous posts on stripped oil drain plugs, I was thinking of retapping the hole to a 14mm and installing a new plug. Has anyone tried this before..It is on a 02 YZ426....Thanks

• whitetrashracing

Posted August 03, 2004 - 03:21 PM

i have had the displeasure of that very same thingi used a kwikset helicoil u have to drill hole oversized then tap the hole the size of the helicoil the kwik set is designed to be set into the tapped hole with no bottom so it comes with little fingers that stick out so u can set it in with out the fear of it twisting out. make sure u get the small set tool to flush up the fingers on the kwikset all costs less than 20.00 to fix. i have also fixed oil gallery banjo bolt on right case same way with no probs.

• thelimey1

Posted August 04, 2004 - 03:13 AM

i just use a torque wrench for everything. never stripped a bolt in ten years. seems lie a lot of work to re-size a bolt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JS426

Posted August 04, 2004 - 03:48 AM

Thanks WhiteTrash.....I wanted to try the 14mm first to see if it did work...that way if i screwed it up i could always go to the Heli-coil..I actually tapped out the hole yesterday and installed the 14mm...No problems :thumbsup:

Also thelimey1 i use my torque wrench on just about everything on the bike, after two years of doing it by feel on the drain bolt I decided to use a torque wrench....Go figure it stripped it out :devil:

• Hank

Posted August 04, 2004 - 05:27 AM

cant imagine life without a torque wrench, I actually over tightened the rear bolts that hold the sprocket on, and it sheared the heads off a couple and then trashed my rear wheel after a hard day at the track... Never saw that coming... Never again either, torque wrench or bust... :thumbsup:

• whitetrashracing

Posted August 04, 2004 - 06:19 AM

no problem i quite using torque wrench on just about everything on the outside of the motor including oil gallery bolts to many broke off i think yama has the torque specs a little off.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.