Low rpm sensitive throttle

12 replies to this topic
  • Snipper

Posted August 03, 2004 - 08:21 AM

Does anyone know of an easy way to solve an overly sensitive throttle? I find that the throttle is really touchy when riding tight single track and I end up holding on too tight to get the throttle control I need. I've had this beauty for a month now and absolutely love everything about it except for this. Would an aftermarket needle help or is there a better option?

• RichBaker

Posted August 03, 2004 - 04:29 PM

Upshift!!! :thumbsup:

• The_Missile

Posted August 04, 2004 - 08:25 PM

You can buy throttle tubes with altered pull. They work by pulling the throttle cable less than normal for a given 'twist'. No idea who makes them though.

• dominator426

Posted August 05, 2004 - 12:56 PM

I had the same problem at first when jetted a bit too rich... What's your elevation in Mission? Is your 426 pretty much stock?

• Desracer

Posted August 05, 2004 - 07:09 PM

Your bike is too lean, I would suggest you richen the pilot jet and ride your bike. Rich jetting makes for lazy roll on power, lean jetting makes for quicker snappy power. The pilot jet is easy to change on most bikes and affects the low speed running.

• Snipper

Posted September 27, 2004 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info. Sorry about falling off the planet - long vacation with lots of mountain riding! Elevation around Mission is between 300ft and 3000 ft. I also ride a lot in higher mountains between 2000 and 5000 ft. and this is where I first noticed the sensitivity. I've had some lean popping on high altitude, high speed deceleration too, but not enough to be a problem. I'll give the low speed jet change a try first. Plug colour is good with no fouling and I don't hear any detonation. Thanks again for the advice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Snipper

Posted September 27, 2004 - 09:11 PM

Oh yeah, my WR has the airbox lid removed, throttle stop cut down bit no pipe yet.

• SXP

Posted September 27, 2004 - 09:25 PM

Try adjusting the throttle cable for a little more free-play (down by the carb). That should reduce the hair-trigger throttle effect.

• spanner

Posted September 27, 2004 - 09:41 PM

i thought that it was normal maybe i should check mine might stop me coming off the back

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 28, 2004 - 07:22 AM

Best way is to put in a YZ450 exhaust cam. It will take away the hit down low and put it in the midrange. More ponies up top as well. Cost $140.00. :cry:

• 5valve

Posted September 28, 2004 - 12:24 PM

why the YZ450 cam? why not just twist the original one tooth

• Chipstien

Posted September 28, 2004 - 12:32 PM

The 450 cam is a auto decompression cam and has slightly different specs. Get the 450 cam and no more starting drill. :cry:

• sabin

Posted September 28, 2004 - 11:42 PM

If you mean that you open the trottle just a bit and the bike pulls hard - you can fix this by screwing the pilot screw in half a turn! This leans the mixture down and makes the bike more pleasent in low trottle position.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.