'00 WR400 countershaft seal leaking - plugged crankcase breather?

4 replies to this topic
  • R_Little

Posted August 03, 2004 - 05:31 AM

I just rode the rattlesnake enduro, a mud fest.

I rode speedsville last year in the mud as well and in both ride the c/s seal leaked oil all over the chain. I cleaned the seal last year with a film negative and it was fine for a full year. I'm wondering if the leak was caused not by a bad seal but by a clogged crankcase breather. It was certainly plugged with the 20lbs of mud that was all over the bottom of the bike.

The question is, what happens when this breater is clogged?
Will the presurized crankcase blow oil out the c/s seal?

What do you guys think?

• zz3gmc

Posted August 03, 2004 - 04:51 PM

More than likely, the seal is probably worn out. If you still have the plastic counter shaft guard on, they have a tendency to pack with mud and grass.(I rode Rattlesnake also) I guess it could be possible for the breather to be plugged, i have never experienced this though. My KX 250 2 stroke is packed with mud around the c-shaft sprocket after this past weekend.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted August 03, 2004 - 11:08 PM

its quite possible that a blocked breather could have caused your oil leak. Normally the valve cover gasket (1/2 moons) it the first to get blown out when you have too much crankcase pressure

• R_Little

Posted August 04, 2004 - 04:57 AM

Nah I took the plastic cover off. Still packed with mud like you would not believe. Got so bad I could not shift the bike.

Anyway, I agree that the half moons would go first.

I'll change the seal.

Thanks

• SFO

Posted August 04, 2004 - 02:25 PM

There is a replaceable inner race/spacer that will get grooved and crusty. I have made my own new ones out of 308SS.
There is also a small oring behind it that seals the id.
I usually back it up with silicone before sliding said spacer on before c/s installation.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.