Mounting a cycling computer?

No replies to this topic
  • ibigcity

Posted August 02, 2004 - 05:23 PM

Hey Folks,

I saw this question in the General Forum and thought you might want to see it here too. Below is my response to Kawboy373 FYI.

This is how I did it on my '01 YZ426F.
I ran mine straight up the back of the brake cable and secured it with a piece of black electrical tape. I ran the tape straight up the cable as well, not around the cable. The wire should be small enough that you can center the tape on the wire and have enough to still stick well to the brake cable. I used the taping procedure up to to just above the cable guide on the lower triple clamp. ( I had the bike on a main stand so that the forks were extended out fully.) I bought some plastic wire "harness" from a local electronics store to help secure the wire from where I stopped the tape. If you want to PM me and I'd be glad to send pictures.

I used this "harness" wrap to allow the wire some movement along the upper brake line so that the wire doesn't brake. My buddy, JohnB, came up with this idea after he had broken a number of computer wires on his bike. You want to wrap this around the wire loosely to allow slight movement. I used the harness wrap from where the wire attaches to the brake line to just above the cable guide on the lower triple clamp.

As a precaution, on the lower region of the brake line, I did wrap the vertical strip of electrical tape with one or two strips of tape that went all the way around the brake line. I did this just to secure the vertical piece of tape in two places.
It turns out to be a very clean installation.

If anyone is interested I've posted pictures to a web site below.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.