Over Heating?

9 replies to this topic
  • hole_shot

Posted August 02, 2004 - 03:53 PM

My 2002 426f was idling for about 15 minutes (just running in my driveway after some routine maint) and it started puking radiator fluid (overheating)out of the overflow tubes. Is this due to no movement? Before I start tearing it a part to make sure all is well, I was wondering if this is something that happens often to other 426 owners.
This bike is new to me and I just don't know the ins and outs just yet. Any help would be appreciated.

• WR426madness

Posted August 02, 2004 - 05:02 PM

I'm suprised it idled that long befor boiling over, you should never let the bike idle for more than a min. or so after it is warmed up. These bikes have a cooling system that requires air movement through the radiator. So to answer your question, yes it is normal for one to overheat while idleing.

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 02, 2004 - 06:01 PM

Ditto! never idle the bike except for a minute when cold starting. :thumbsup:

• r_dawg1021

Posted August 02, 2004 - 07:32 PM

Not to rub it in but ditto as well. A while back someone posted something saying they put their bike in the back of the truck running while they drove to their destination. He claimed that the moving air as the truck drove was good enough. Even that's a bad idea in my opinion.

If you had a thermostat on your bike you would see first hand how bad it is to let your bike sit while not moving. Could cause a meltdown in your driveway.

After I do mods I usually start her up and drive it around the block, usually end up pushing it home cause I messed something up :thumbsup:

• big t

Posted August 09, 2004 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, that is normal. It's water cooled but the radiators need air moving through them . I'm surprised it took that long too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kobernik

Posted August 10, 2004 - 04:52 PM

The WR's tend to overheat too easily while not in motion in my opinion. Kind of a bummer down in a technical wash with warm temps. Seem's like someone told me about an aftermarket impellor to replace the original in the water pump. It's supposed to circulate more fluid. Anyone hear of this?

• ncmountainman

Posted August 10, 2004 - 05:10 PM

boyesen water pump kit, really smoothed it out! before i put it on it would heat up at slow speed now it doesn't. :thumbsup:

• jaggley

Posted August 11, 2004 - 01:03 PM

any link to find it?

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 11, 2004 - 01:40 PM

Here is the link:

• kobernik

Posted August 12, 2004 - 04:16 AM

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I don't see any impellors or kits for earlier WR400s. Any other suggestions, different manufacturers?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.