Bike won't start!!!!! Help

8 replies to this topic
  • murd74

Posted August 01, 2004 - 11:49 PM

I have fitted a new camchain and tensioner to my 1994 XR600R and now I cannot get my bike to start. I have checked and double checked the following and they are all ok: cam timing is bang on, valve clearances are bang on, no airbox leaks, I have a good spark, I have tryed 3 different plugs and they all seem to be getting wet, I have stripped the carb and checked it and it is ok.
Does anyone have any idea what it might be?????

It is also a fresh engine with less than 500 miles on it before I changed the cam chain.

• FlyByWire

Posted August 02, 2004 - 06:44 AM

May sound REALLY simple.... but make sure the GAS is on, and there is enough in the tank, otherwise go to reserve. Sounds lame... but lots of us have done it.

• don87xr600

Posted August 02, 2004 - 06:54 AM

could the cam be 180 degrees off?

• mikekay

Posted August 02, 2004 - 10:27 AM

compression?
fresh gas?
try spraying some starter fluid in it and see if it will rumble...

it could be anything from a faulty plug cap to a plugged jet in the carb. did you try bump starting it? you sure the carb dont have varnish in it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jmxr250r

Posted August 02, 2004 - 01:12 PM

Try turning the idle knob up 3/4 of a turn. If the bike fires you can easily turn the knob back to it's orignal position. Thats why the knob is so big so you can turn it with gloves on. If thats a no go put some gas in the cylinder and kick it over then add a little more. I had the same problem that you are having and i found out that my choke lever wasn't turning the choke on do to a missing spring so make sure your lever turns the choke on. If you get the bike running turn the choke on full, if the bike begings to sputter then thats good, if not your going to have to order a new spring.
------------
1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier plastics, ufo universal mx fender, emgo bark busters,and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

• murd74

Posted August 02, 2004 - 08:08 PM

Thanks guys, I have tried all those things and still no luck. Is it possible to put the collar for the pickup on the wrong spline on the crankshaft? It's the only other thing I can think of.

• frankstr

Posted August 03, 2004 - 02:39 AM

I have fitted a new camchain and tensioner to my 1994 XR600R and now I cannot get my bike to start. I have checked and double checked the following and they are all ok: cam timing is bang on, valve clearances are bang on, no airbox leaks, I have a good spark, I have tryed 3 different plugs and they all seem to be getting wet, I have stripped the carb and checked it and it is ok.
Does anyone have any idea what it might be?????

It is also a fresh engine with less than 500 miles on it before I changed the cam chain.

Is the bike flooding out,check the float level??? :thumbsup:

• murd74

Posted August 03, 2004 - 03:24 AM

What should the float level be and how do i measure it? If it is that it is weird because it always used to start easily before I changed the chain.

• murd74

Posted August 03, 2004 - 08:08 PM

Well problem solved, the pickup collar was on 1/3 of a turn out, so was firing at the wrong time!!!!!
Thanks for all your help guys.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.