99 WR400 Headlight Issue

5 replies to this topic
  • YamaCazi

Posted June 11, 2001 - 04:35 AM

A good friend with a case of happy throttle slammed me and my headlight with golf ball sized rocks yesterday....Payback did come however when he and his KTM took a bath 30 minutes later in 4 feet of water...anyway he attempted to do the right thing and pay for the headlight replacement,,,,atleast until this morning when I told him that Yamaha wants $119.00 plus tax for the replacement. Then there was silence.....My question for the group is what type number plate can I replace the headlight and cover with ? Will the YZ plate work, additionally will the odometer have to be removed ? and If so where can I find a cap for the OD connector?

Thanks in advance....Bill

Thanks to all....A friend ordered a unit from Yamaha for me for $73(What a mark up, when you consider the $119. price from another Yamaha dealer) and I picked up a cage for it from Baja Design's for about $17. Additionally I picked up a YZ number plate for "Most of the time" when I will be daylight riding only. The other stuff I'll keep in the cabinet of my race trailer for a quick change over.......

[This message has been edited by Bmccutcheon (edited 06-13-2001).]

• Bill

Posted June 11, 2001 - 08:09 AM

The stock YZ plate will work, buy aftermarket and save. You'll also need to get the YZ spacer and seal, this will replace the odo drive. Yes, the odo will have to come off.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, MX-Tech suspension, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• YamaCazi

Posted June 11, 2001 - 08:38 AM

Bill,

I've seen you and others mention the YZ Spacer and Seal before.

Please forgive me for sounding stupid, I have been out of the riding business for too many years, trying to work my way back...

Where would the Spacer and Seal be used, I'm picturing down on the hub? :)

Could I not just cap the odo output shaft so that I could swap back to using the odo later on ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 11, 2001 - 09:04 PM

Yes, you can just use a cap, hydrylock end caps work good if you can find one some where, anything that keeps the water out will do, try a vacume hose line cap, you can usally get a set of different sizes at the local auto parts store. $119!!! really, mine is cracked but still works. I WILL find a replacement for it for $30 bucks or so even if I have to go to a manufacture or lighting outlet store! I think I will use some scrap 1/2" lexane to make a sheild, its supposed to be bullet prof :) .

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 11, 2001 - 09:06 PM

Yes, you can just use a cap, hydrylock end caps work good if you can find one some where, anything that keeps the water out will do, try a vacume hose line cap, you can usally get a set of different sizes at the local auto parts store. $119!!! really, mine is cracked but still works. I WILL find a replacement for it for $30 bucks or so even if I have to go to a manufacture or lighting outlet store! I think I will use some scrap 1/2" lexane to make a sheild, its supposed to be bullet prof :) .

• JOSHUAZ2

Posted June 13, 2001 - 05:28 AM

after i took a bark sample with my light i had to have one quickly so i busted the glass that protruded past the metal ring, made a few lexan doughnut spacers and a lexan lense and epoxyed it together. surprisingly it look

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.