Anyone use Primary Drive sprockets?

8 replies to this topic
  • DoctorRzed

Posted August 01, 2004 - 02:28 PM

They only cost $14.99 for the rear and $6.99 for the front. Thery are made of steel. Anyone use them?

• RCannon

Posted August 01, 2004 - 02:59 PM

Yes, I have used them. They are ok. The countershaft sprokets are as good as anything else.

For me, the Titax sprokets Rocky Mountain ATV sells are better. The prices are lower and the quality is higher. The rear sprokets are aluminum.

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 01, 2004 - 03:44 PM

Steel rears last a very long time, even the inexpensive ones. The inexpensive ones are heavy, more of a big deal for the MX types than the off-road types. The high tech fancy ones (such as the Ironman, the Stealth, etc..) are much lighter.

As for the fronts, the only front that I have seen with any special claim to fame are the Ironman fronts. They are made from die steel instead of case hardened steel, and the die steel supposibly lasts longer. Long enough that they give them a one year wear warranty (free replacement if you wear them out in less than one year).

• Jeffro426

Posted August 01, 2004 - 04:51 PM

They are HEAVY but im willing to be you wont notice it...they do last darn near forever though...had 1 on my 426 that saw two chains in its time and it still looked like new.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz426onNOS

Posted August 01, 2004 - 05:49 PM

They are HEAVY but im willing to be you wont notice it...they do last darn near forever though...had 1 on my 426 that saw two chains in its time and it still looked like new.

Could be why you went through so many chains. Your supposed to replace the gears and chain as a set.

• Jeffro426

Posted August 01, 2004 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, dealerships will tell you anything to get you to buy something huh?? If the sprocket is "like new" and not worn there is absolutly no reason to replace it. Two non o-ring chains in two years of HARD riding is pretty good in my book.

• yz426onNOS

Posted August 01, 2004 - 08:05 PM

Yeah, dealerships will tell you anything to get you to buy something huh?? If the sprocket is "like new" and not worn there is absolutly no reason to replace it. Two non o-ring chains in two years of HARD riding is pretty good in my book.

Thats not pretty good, thats great! I was always told to replace both at the same time. But I stand corrected. I have had the same sprockets and chain for 4 years of hard rideing. I payed less then 100 bones for all of it too.

• Satch0922

Posted August 02, 2004 - 04:15 AM

COme on Jeffro :devil: That is why everyone wants a 450...cuz of the weight JUST KIDDING I AM NOT TRYING TO FIRE YOU UP~! :awww: :thumbsup:

• TheEnvelope

Posted August 02, 2004 - 06:38 PM

It's better to replace them as aset, but they never wear all the same. If it ain't broke...save your money. Had primary drive sprockets and x ring chains from www. rockymountainmc.com, great, inexpensive, long lasting set up.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.