Air Filter Cleaning

6 replies to this topic
  • allan68

Posted July 30, 2004 - 02:32 PM

What do you guys use to clean your air filters?
Do not want to use gasoline or kerosene.

Al

• Bpawb

Posted July 30, 2004 - 02:36 PM

PJ1 air filter cleaner .... And water hose

• qadsan

Posted July 30, 2004 - 03:04 PM

I initially clean mine with solvent. Then I clean them in water + dishwashing soap and then dry them thoroughly before they're oiled. After thoroughly working the oil in and sqeezing out as much oil as I can, I then I place them in plastic ziplock bags and let them hang for a few days so the excess oil runs to the bottom pocket of the bag. After draining out the accumulated oil, they're ready for use. I typically do ~12 to ~18 air filters at a time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikekay

Posted July 30, 2004 - 08:08 PM

NO TOIL!
Once you go with their system you will never use anything else. I wash mine in my kitchen sink with warm water and no gloves on.
Plus their filter is the best for our bike.
No Toil is a GREAT product.

• zx12

Posted August 30, 2004 - 05:05 AM

A mechanic put me onto this. A can of preen (cloths stain remover) works great, easy too. just spray it on, need it into the filter add a little water and keep needing it then rinse it with water. If still a little oily repeat. Filters come up spotless.

• HonMudDog

Posted September 01, 2004 - 02:02 AM

NO TOIL!! You'll never go back to solvents or anything else!!
Happy Trails,
JP

• HeadTrauma

Posted September 02, 2004 - 04:16 PM

An alternative to kerosene that doesnt smell nearly as bad and actually evaporates is a kerosene-based (key word "based") parts washer solvent. Its clear, fairly easy to clean up, and cuts the crud. I think I washed the UNI on my last bike in a bucket of hot water with alot of dish soap. Maybe twice, I dont recall.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.