WR450F Water Pump Leaking

7 replies to this topic
  • sidewayz

Posted July 30, 2004 - 08:03 AM

I have a drip coming out of the weap hole on the bottom of the right cover. Anyone replaced the two seals on the impeller shaft yet? Note: The leak is defintely coming out of the weap hole and not the o-ring on the water pump cover.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 30, 2004 - 08:35 AM

I have on my YZF450. No big deal but when it happens again, I am buying the Boyesen Engineering complete water pump.

• huskerdu

Posted July 30, 2004 - 08:51 AM

yes, it's very easy. you should only have to replace the outer one though. pull off the water pump cover (after you've drained the coolant) and impeller and there it is. i grabbed it with a needle nosed pliers and pulled it out. it think the new seal is about 3 bucks. there is a thread in the wr250f section on this. i'm slow and it took an hour.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 30, 2004 - 09:22 AM

Replace both the oil seal and the water seal and the impellar shaft. The water seal will wear a grove in the impellar shaft. Use white lithium grease to reinstall. Must do once a year. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sidewayz

Posted July 30, 2004 - 12:25 PM

Thanks guys! :thumbsup: Hey Indy, my bud doesn't want to do the starter upgrade and he is riding in the U.P. this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers. He said he'll burn it if croaks. :devil:
I went to my buddy at the dealer and he showed me the whole bulletin on fixing the flywheel. I'm hoping that loctite will hold until I talk him into it. :awww: What tires are you running?

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 02, 2004 - 09:15 AM

He better do the upgrade. I was very lucky and ran over a year without a failure or TSB service. But after reviewing the 04 design it is obvious to many of the "techy" TT members here that it is a must fix! I am running S12's front and back. They work very well in michigan! I will be back in the UP this weekend!

• sidewayz

Posted August 03, 2004 - 04:44 AM

Where are you going in the UP? I am actually going up to Wisconsin towards the end of the week, but the UP is only five miles away. We use the dirt roads to get there, then it's all Michigan trail system! :thumbsup: We almost made it to lake superior last time!

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 03, 2004 - 12:13 PM

I will be riding in Wisconsin on Friday. Then driving to UP on Friday night and riding Saturday, sunday & Monday around the Newberry, Michigan area: Sandtown, Silver Creek riding areas. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.