Suspension set-up?????

2 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 10, 2001 - 02:59 PM

I recently bought a new 2001 WR426F and don't know the first thing about setting up the suspension for my riding style (trails, enduro, hare scrambles, etc.), do I want a soft or stiff set up? I weigh 245 lbs and was wandering if someone could steer me in the right direction?

SETTINGS???
Front fork rebound damping
Front fork compression damping
Rear shock spring preload
Rear shock rebound damping
Rear shock low compression damping
Rear shock high compression damping

HOW MANY CLICKS IN OR OUT?

Thanks for your time and understanding!

Mark Scheitlin

------------------

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted June 10, 2001 - 04:13 PM

At your riding weight you may be slightly heavy for the front springs and definitly heavy for the rear spring. I know I just has my suspension done by MX-Tech and at my weight of 220. They changed the rear spring.

For the type of riding you do, you might be alright for springs. You'll want something softer then my MX set-up. Use the "stcok" settings" for a starting spot. Then go to MX-Techs site and get their tuning guide for off road. It will explain in detail how to tune

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, MX-Tech suspension, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 10, 2001 - 05:35 PM

how is your suspension, Bill?

I put in ultralight PJ-1, 2.5#, into my forks at min level. Compression clickers at 10 out, still waaaaaay too stiff off the top. I am at 15 out now. I was tempted to bring the forks to Souhwick today, Sunday, and have Pro-Action attempt at making it supple off the top. I thought I could struggle my way through the conversation of why I delayed the complaints by 10 months. Like my normal M.O. (Modus Operendi) over the past year, I just blew it off and put the forks back on my bike. I have lost my desire to care anymore. I just want to ride with you guys and escape the harsh reality I am now living. I still have to do the head vent mod Clark came up with a year ago. I actually purchased my tubing at Home Depot tonight, after leaving Southwick. I will concentrate ALL EFFORTS at prepping the bike.

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC, and I use MOBIL 1 Oil, with ZERO problems.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.