Stator output

2 replies to this topic
  • minioutlaw

Posted July 29, 2004 - 10:31 AM

I have ignition and no lights on my XR600R. I don't seem to have a short between the stator and the output leads or between stator and regulator. When I measure voltage across the leads, it reads between 8-10 VAC. Am I measuring correctly, accross the two stator leads (green and white)? If I'm not reading 12, why? My stator is a week old aftermarket, high output model, could it have gone bad? Thanks for any help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moredesert

Posted July 30, 2004 - 01:49 PM

I'm thinking you should have close to 90vac on the stator leads. It gets regulated to 12vdc at the voltage regulator. The ignition is off different coils than the lighting coils on the same stator. I would pull it off and look for damaged wires. You could have a short on a winding but not to ground.

Did you test the stator with the regulator hooked up? If so you might have burned the regulator out with the higher out put stator. That is something I up graded when I wound mine.

• minioutlaw

Posted July 31, 2004 - 08:21 AM

It turns out I was reading an unfamiliar meter incorrectly, and I have 2 VAC at the stator output wires. I don't have a short to ground, but to where else would I have one? Not to the ignition coil, it seems to be working fine. I don't know if I have fried the regulator, but right now there isn't much voltage even getting there, so the problem must start at the stator. The next step is to reinstall the factory stator and see if the lights fire back up, but this all has happened on a trip, and my factory stator (and garage) is 500 miles away. Guess I'm going home by truck. Thanks for the help.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.