how much work and $$ to replace valve guides?

2 replies to this topic
  • NWetRider

Posted July 29, 2004 - 07:24 AM

94 xr600. I would probably not remove the valves myself, just take the head into the shop. Any idea what kind of money I am looing at for this and any other parts needed to put it all back together? The engine does have to come out to do this right?

I have searched old threads and I think it is the guides. When I start it cold there is nothing for about 5 seconds then the smoke screen begins. Much more when I blip the throttle. It's gone in about 2 minutes and the bike doesn't use any oil. Is this guides for sure? I'd hate to do all the work and have it still not be fixed.

When I bought the bike it did not do this the first 2 rides. Had always had bel ray semi sythetic in it but I couldn't find any so I used regular castrol 4t oil. Then it started smoking while cold. A guy I rode with told me his xr600 did the same thing when he tried non-synthetic oil but once he switched back it went away. I changed to the bel ray but there is still some smoke, although a lot less. I've thought about changing it one more time (since the first change couldn't have replaced all the non-synthetic that was in it) but have the feeling this is not going to fix it. The bike was bored, new piston, rockers in 02.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted July 29, 2004 - 12:06 PM

I would just try new stem seals at first,ya can put those on without removing the eng. or cyl.head :thumbsup:

• NWetRider

Posted July 29, 2004 - 01:15 PM

Ummm, what's a stem seal?

That's great if it's something simple.

Thanks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.