680 question

8 replies to this topic
  • qcustom

Posted July 29, 2004 - 04:19 AM

Are people doing the 680 on a xr650r are you boring your cyl. or are you have new sleeves installed?

• BWB63

Posted July 29, 2004 - 10:23 AM

I wish it could be done without the sleave to save weight but, you have to have it sleaved. You know there is a 710cc kit that is just starting to take hold out there but, no racing hours that I know of. The 680 has been bullet proof with race stacked on race....100's of hours year and a half :thumbsup:of pro race time on it without a rebiuld that's what sold me. The sleave is about the same price as having the cylnder brought back to stock and the sleave whears about the same so, it only makes sence to go with the 680 to me. I am starting to think that the big jumping that I do on the XR650R helped tear up the gear dogs in my Oinker. I got this bike 2003 XR650R in November 2002 and rode an average 194 miles high speed desert and jumping miles each week for the 73 weeks before tear down. I also road it 568 road miles. I changed the oil at 72 miles, 168 miles, 322 miles, 406 miles, 568 miles, 637 miles then I changed the oil every first of the month and twice in November 2003. The piston (not a scatch), bearings and all parts looked brand new, just the dogs on three gears were rounded. These bikes wear real well under hard use. :lol: :devil: :thumbsup: :awww:

• XRMANU

Posted July 29, 2004 - 12:24 PM

What piston are you using for the 680 kit?Wiseco?JE?...

• BWB63

Posted July 29, 2004 - 01:44 PM

Wisco 11:1 with the deaper and bigger valve inpressions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikekay

Posted July 29, 2004 - 07:29 PM

If memory serves me Weisco has a 10:1 for the 680 also-but BWB is right on going for the 11:1 as it runs fine on pump gas if you have a mild cam.
Baja Designs can make you a 700--and there is a 710 that is used in Europe for supermotarding. Presumably that is a stroked motor. My experience with very very high revving built 650's is that there are issues with the crank, and with seals leaking, and so it should be avoided if reliablilty is needed. Search the euro sites for more info...

The 680 Weisco has proven reliable now and guys have a season+ under their belt with it.

IMHO the best 'built' motor is the XR's Only HD crank, Weisco 680 piston, Kibblewhite head, Carilo rod, Stage one cam, HRC HD cam chain.

The edelbrock carb, open airbox help big time on the intake side.

To date -IMHO- there still isnt a viable 96db. pipe to go with such a built bike. Viable meaning a pipe that wont sacrifice power at one end or the other, and that will last for over 7500 miles. The custom made pipe team Honda run isnt available to you and me!

Hopefully Barnum will have a viable pipe for sale soon--if not I am going to offer one!!!!!!!!!

• XRMANU

Posted July 29, 2004 - 10:08 PM

Do you run a sleeve with the 680 kit?I have 1 laying around(for 2 years now ,new and not in use :thumbsup: :devil: ).Mine is bored to 102.4mm with a new nicasil layer, without a sleeve.Also with Wiseco (11:1 I think)

Can the original Honda crank/rod take the extra stress from the 680kit???? Normal use/abuse on a well looked-after bike,good warm up each time,new oil every 500/1000 km...There are some horror stories overhere about the 680,big end failure etc...I not sure about it.I think it helps to stay away from the very high RPM's and leave the ignition stock.
My "old" 600 ('97)was HRC kitted and bored to 660cc..No problems for years (15000 km plus),dead reliable...Hard use on the street (SM) and enduro.

• mikekay

Posted July 30, 2004 - 05:17 AM

Do you run a sleeve with the 680 kit?I have 1 laying around(for 2 years now ,new and not in use :

yes you will need to use the sleeve.

( :thumbsup: ).Mine is bored to 102.4mm with a new nicasil layer, without a sleeve.Also with Wiseco (11:1 I think)

You will need a sleeve bored to 102.4 for the 680.

Can the original Honda crank/rod take the extra stress from the 680kit???? Normal use/abuse on a well looked-after bike,good warm up each time,new oil every 500/1000 km...There are some horror stories overhere about the 680,big end failure etc...I not sure about it.I think it helps to stay away from the very high RPM's and leave the ignition stock.

There are horror stories here about 650 crank failure as well as 680. The bearing stock is to small. Go with the XR's Only HD crank if that is a concern.

My "old" 600 ('97)was HRC kitted and bored to 660cc..No problems for years (15000 km plus),dead reliable...Hard use on the street (SM) and enduro.

I hear ya. If ya do it right-a built engine will last a long time. Of course if ya dont do it right-it will end shortly in disaster.

You might want to consult with Rob Barnum about what to do and not do with your engine. He has as much experience as anyone with building the 650 motor into a fire breathing dragon. He can tell you wich gasket kits, pistons, rods, cranks, cams, valves, etc. work best.

• XRMANU

Posted July 30, 2004 - 10:48 AM

Thx for the info :devil:

Strange ,here in Belgium each 680 kit is without a sleeve,just bigbore with nicasil :D

I did ask Barnum a time ago about the 680 kit,but I'm still not sure about running it with the original Honda rod/crank :awww: Don't want to tear down my engine or make a time bomb of it..It runs great now: stock engine with aftermarket exhaust,Mikuni TM40 pumper,airbox mod ,no backfirescreen + No-toil filter.

But I like the extra punch of a well tuned engine :lol:..and I have the 680 kit laying around ...

I don't find info about the HD crank on the XR's only site :thumbsup: Anyone??? thx :lol:

• mikekay

Posted July 30, 2004 - 08:05 PM

I have the XR's Only HD crank. It has the bigger XR600 bearing set up. Works great. Yeah i remeber something about it not being on the website or its hidden or something--cant remember exactly. Call em if interested. I have a season on mine.

Cranks going out on the BRP is an issue for motarders or high rev racers. I've seen 3 go out...Barnum will tell ya more about it.

My engine is now getting the 680-the cylinder is litterally at the machine shop getting worked on. So i have only got a bit of understanding on it--in the coming months i might be able to better help. Again call Rob if needed--as you know.
No idea about the euro sleeve issue-but i will ask about it.
:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.