2001 YZ426

2 replies to this topic
  • hvac111

Posted July 28, 2004 - 01:51 PM

Let me start by saying I love my bike but it has been very tempermental. I had a hard time getting it to run right and finally did after tweaking the carb with the jet needle and the pilot screw and switching to 110 octane fuel. The last two times out its not been running right again. Pulled the carb and cleaned haven't put it back in yet but hopefully it will be ok again. Now to my real question. I live and ride in south Florida, a buddy and I are going out to Colorado Springs for a week of trail riding in Sept. What do I need to do to the bike so it will be even half way reliable? Right now its not reliable at sea level let alone at 8000 - 14000 ft elevation.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted July 29, 2004 - 02:52 AM

The JD jetting kit would be your best option. I live in COS and never had the bike running right until I bought the kit. I have mine set for 6000-9000 feet and it runs well (don't quote me but I think its a 56 main jet, 3rd clip position and 2.5 turns out on the air screw). I can pick up the directions tonight and let you know for sure.

I have an 02 426 and have had the same problems. The Ty Davis crew couldn't even figure it out at the last WORCS race (its not like they were going to spend a lot of time on it though). They said 4 strokes shouldn't be that temperamental but mine sure is.

Hope you have a good time in the mountains.

• hvac111

Posted July 29, 2004 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the info. If you can the exact directions would be very helpfull. If yours runs good with those settings theres no reason why mine shouldn't. Thanks again.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.