Stupid CA DMV Office -- Red Sticker Stupidity

16 replies to this topic
  • berkeman

Posted July 28, 2004 - 09:29 AM

Sorry, but I've gotta rant a bit. It's bad enough having to put up with the red/green sticker junk here in Cali, but the freaking DMV is incompetent IMO. The DMV neglected to send me the renewal notices for two of our dirtbikes. So first I try to renew an old DS-80 (green sticker) and my '03 CRF450 (red sticker) at AAA, because the lines are a lot shorter than at the DMV:

AAA Lady -- "The DMV doesn't let us do dirtbikes anymore. They want to be the only place that can issue green and red stickers."

Me -- "I can see how they want to control the green stickers to make sure nobody gets a green sticker for a red sticker bike. But how about just the red sticker, can I get that here?"

AAA Lady -- "Nope."

Me -- "But the red sticker is the worst thing I can get. That's kind of silly."

AAA Lady -- "Yep."

So I go the the local DMV in San Jose. Appointments are like a month out, so I figure I'll just brave the lines:

Me -- (after waiting an hour to get to the window) "I need to renew the registrations on two of my dirtbikes. The renewal notices didn't come in the mail, and both of these bikes expired at the end of June."

DMV Lady -- "Okay, the Suzuki DS-80 will be $35. And let's see, the Honda will be.....uh-oh. There's a HOLD on this registration.... I'll have to talk to my supervisor..."

DMV Lady -- (5 minutes later) "Okay, it looks like there was a hold placed on this registration a couple weeks after you bought the bike. So they never sent you any sticker, right?"

Me -- "Nope, I got it and it's been on my bike for the last two years."

DMV Lady -- "Two years? Didn't you have to renew the registration last year?"

Me -- :excuseme:"No. Dirtbike stickers are good for two years. My 450's red sticker was good from 2002-2004."

DMV Lady -- "Huh. Well it says here that you didn't get the sticker and the registration was suspended."

Me -- "No, I definietly have the red sticker on the bike. They don't let you ride the local parks in the winter without it."

DMV Lady -- "Well, my supervisor is going to have to call Sacramento to ask about the hold. This could take a while, so you'd better have a seat."

Me -- (so I sit and wait for 20 more minutes and watch no less than three more trips to the supervisor....Finally the paperwork comes back to the DMV Lady...)

DMV Lady -- "Okay, Sacramento says it's okay to release the hold on this registration. Let's try that again.... Hmmm, what's this note about checking the 8th VIN letter for a 3 or a C.... No, it looks like with your VIN, you can't register this dirtbike."

Me -- "No, with that VIN, I get a red sticker for that dirtbike. That's what the red sticker means, that there's a 3 or a C in the 8th digit. It means I get a red sticker, not that I can't register the bike."

DMV Lady -- (after another trip to the supervisor) "Okay, I get it now. Red sticker. Got it. Okay, that's $70 for the two dirtbike renewals.... Here you go, take this over to the license plate window, and they'll give you the green sticker. And this is your 90-day temporary registration for the 450. They'll have to mail the red sticker and registration to you from Sacramento."

So after two hours at the DMV, I'm just hoping that Sac gets it right and mails me the sticker. I won't need it for another couple of months, but at this rate... :thumbsup: :devil:

• dirtmachine

Posted July 28, 2004 - 09:46 AM

The rules must be different up in CA, in CT nobody registers their bikes or quads. Literally, out of all the bikes in the state maybe 6% have been registered.

• velosapiens

Posted July 28, 2004 - 09:48 AM

The rules must be different up in CA, in CT nobody registers their bikes or quads.

the rules are different in pretty much all states that have significant amounts of riding on public land (except nevada, still).

• yzwiley

Posted July 28, 2004 - 09:51 AM

Sorry dude, but you're supposed to get a Green Sticker for the '02 CR. You may have passed a golden opportunity to get out of a red sticker. A year or so ago the DMV announced that '02 and older model years are applicable for green, whereas anything later than '02 is red. You might want to make a phone call or head on back down there if you'd like to ride your CR during the summer months.

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted July 28, 2004 - 10:00 AM

I was about to mention that, he SHOULD have gotten a green sticker!

• berkeman

Posted July 28, 2004 - 10:01 AM

Sorry dude, but you're supposed to get a Green Sticker for the '02 CRF

Oops! My typo -- my CRF450 is an '03. I'll fix that typo in my original post. Thanks YZ.

• twoblackbelts

Posted July 28, 2004 - 10:07 AM

If there is dirtbike registration in FL it is new. I think I rode for years before I knew they even issued titles for them...but a lot of Dems retire to FL from "up North" and for some reason they are allowed to vote on FLORIDA'S laws and policies (a revolting concept) so that 50% of the votes are cast by retirees with a taste for bagels and Gifelte fish. They hate engines, horsepower, speed, noise and torque, so the Red/green B.S. is not too far off, I fear. :devil: :awww:

What about the circus tricks they want you to do in CA for a motorcycle license?? It is circus tricks or 250 bucks "donation for my education". I just took a "temporary permit". It is good for a year, and gets me to the hills. :thumbsup: CA DMV is abysmal.

• velosapiens

Posted July 28, 2004 - 10:20 AM

What about the circus tricks they want you to do in CA for a motorcycle license??

? you mean the 5 minute drive around in a circle a couple times test? waste of time, but not exactly difficult. for those aren't blessed with superiority in every possible aspect of their lives, the education class is great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzwiley

Posted July 28, 2004 - 10:22 AM

IMHO, the certifications needed to get a California motorcycle license are great for our two-wheeled community. Education is always a good thing.

• HondaDirtRider5

Posted July 28, 2004 - 10:26 AM

I got a later 03 CRF (bought it in march or april i belive) and my sticker is good until June of 05 :thumbsup:...same sticker my buddies who just recently got 04's :devil:

• yzwiley

Posted July 28, 2004 - 10:41 AM

The expiration date is figured on when the sticker was issued and not on the year of the bike.

• yz426onNOS

Posted July 28, 2004 - 03:40 PM

Ahhhhhhh bike is registered in wa. I live in ca. So meaaaaaaaa no dmv for me. :thumbsup:

• XR250rdr

Posted July 28, 2004 - 04:50 PM

The expiration date is figured on when the sticker was issued and not on the year of the bike.

OHV stickers always expire in June.

Ahhhhhhh bike is registered in wa. I live in ca. So meaaaaaaaa no dmv for me. :thumbsup:

Just wait till you get caught.

• yz426onNOS

Posted July 28, 2004 - 05:15 PM

I'm working on changing it. But im lazy.

• nofear14

Posted July 29, 2004 - 07:35 AM

am i supposed to register my 03 400ex and my 05 wr450 when i get it?? i live in spring creek nevada, next to elko? cause no one has said anything and i havnt registered??

• holeshot

Posted July 29, 2004 - 09:06 AM

Same thing happened to me when it came time to renew the Red sticker on my '03 125 two smoke (originally purchased at a SoCal dealer) - they wouldn't even give me Red. :thumbsup: Apparently it was "stopped" in Sacramento, so I had to go in person to the DMV and get a temporary registration until the Red sticker was sent (after the hold was released).

This happens only to '03 bikes, because the '04 were already "taken care of" (according to the DMV).

I never thought I'd have to beg for a Red sticker.... :devil:

• velosapiens

Posted July 29, 2004 - 09:10 AM

am i supposed to register my 03 400ex and my 05 wr450 when i get it?? i live in spring creek nevada, next to elko?

nevada does not currently have an ohv registration program. that may change in the near future. a program is being proposed, modeled after those in oregon and idaho. join your local club, educate yourself, take part.

Related Content

Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z125L 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z125L 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Basic Pipe and Carb Mod Question by HondaRacer37

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 50/70/110
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Going 1,500 miles on a DR200 is it possible? by jOsEpHgArCiA

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Suzuki DR650SE 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR650SE 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z70 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z70 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.