Who's Got Your Insurance?

17 replies to this topic
  • Doug_Caldwell

Posted July 28, 2004 - 06:42 AM

I have been doing searches for Insurance and finding little. I am activly searching for coverage of my precious motorcycles. I was wondering who has your policy and how much is it running a year. I have been told by my home owners agant that there is no coverage avalible. I looked at Progressive, but want to hear your feed back.

This is not another "How you protect your ride" post. So I would like to hear about insurance policies only, no "Protected by Smith & Wesson" "policies".

Thank you for your help.

• latehit

Posted July 28, 2004 - 06:53 AM

Here in Montana I get insurance on my WR426 from State Farm it is full coverage insurance and it costs around $240 a year. I have my home owners, and all my cars insured through them as well. I am not sure that makes a difference in price or not. So Theft, or damage to the bike is covered.

• Thumpy79

Posted July 28, 2004 - 09:51 AM

I use State Farm also, it runs me about $15 a month.

• yzwiley

Posted July 28, 2004 - 10:14 AM

Mine are insured through Allstate on RV policies. I pay about $170 a year for each bike. That is for full coverage insurance with a $100 deductable.

• RCannon

Posted July 28, 2004 - 02:33 PM

I used Progressive. The cost was low and they were willing to insure the m/c even if I did not own any other policies.

• Jeffro426

Posted July 28, 2004 - 02:48 PM

Progressive covers my bike full coverage for 112 bucks a year(100 dollar deduct.)...worth every cent!

• RacerDad

Posted July 28, 2004 - 06:12 PM

Talked to an agent today. Says he can insure through Progressive Insurance my three bikes listed below in my signature for theft (which is all I want) but he has to put liability as well, which will only cover myself (the kids are too young) for $250.00 year. With a $500.00 deductible. This sounds very good to me.
I’m missing something here?

• APLMAN99

Posted July 28, 2004 - 07:45 PM

Just make sure none of your bikes are raced if you are with Allstate......

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 29, 2004 - 01:22 AM

Allstate would not insure my bike, and I've got auto, home owners and boat insurance through allstate. I got my policy through Progressive. They offer all kinds of crazy insurance for an MX bike that just doesn't sound right (such as collision :devil: ). I don't remember the exact price, somewhere around $100/year. The only thing I don't like is it's for blue book value, not for replacement value.

When I first purchased my bike from Powersports, they offered a policy that I bought for 3 years for $300, I should have purchased 5 years for $400 :thumbsup: . It is a "anti theft guarantee" policy, In short, if it gets stolen then they write you a check for $5000. Damn, wish I could renew that one!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted July 29, 2004 - 01:56 AM

Sir of thump, your correct. If the bike is more than a few years old, the replacement value is very low. I dropped the coverage on mine when I found out the max they would ever pay is 1700.00. Progressive was cool enough to offer me collission! The cost was very low at 7.00 per year. I always had that coverage.

A radiator ripped off WOULD have been covered if I were not racing.

• Doug_Caldwell

Posted July 29, 2004 - 02:19 AM

I checked with Progressive. They said that they do not cover anything at the racetrack. For instance, I have 4 bikes and I would be racing one and the rest would be at the trailer. If something happened to the others they would not be covered (Theft, fire, etc). However they said that if I was at a practice track or trail riding that the bikes would be covered. They are supposed to be sending me an info packet that I could look at.

I see in some of the other posts that they say they only cover blue book price. The woman that I talked to did not mention anything about that. I guess I will have to look at the information with a magnifying glass when I get it.

The reason that I am looking into this is because, we are pursuing a new insurance agent and I think that I should have coverage on the bikes.

The AMA has an agreement with Progressive, so I am not surprised that they offer insurance for the bikes. I think that they have some really good prices, but the truth will come out with the information packet.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 29, 2004 - 02:31 AM

I see in some of the other posts that they say they only cover blue book price.

Every policy I've ever seen/had on a motor vehicle (cars, motorhome, motorcycles) pays blue book. They're not going to replace your two year old bike with a new one! When I had a car stolen State Farm paid me "retail" blue book + the remaining prorated registration fees + sales tax. All in all a very fair deal.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 29, 2004 - 03:10 AM

I see in some of the other posts that they say they only cover blue book price.

Every policy I've ever seen/had on a motor vehicle (cars, motorhome, motorcycles) pays blue book. They're not going to replace your two year old bike with a new one! When I had a car stolen State Farm paid me "retail" blue book + the remaining prorated registration fees + sales tax. All in all a very fair deal.

You can have purchase price policies, I had one until it expired. It all depends on what the insuring company is willing to write for you. I wonder if it's a rate thing, in which case I would pay quite a bit more for purchase price policy as opposed to a blue book policy.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 29, 2004 - 03:21 AM

You can have purchase price policies

You can get that kind of coverage on a homeowners policy here in CA but I've never seen/heard of one for a motor vehicle. Don't know maybe it's a state reg??

• Florida_426

Posted July 29, 2004 - 05:48 AM

I have Progressive for both of our motocrossers; full coverage. Of course as stated above no race participation damage is covered but the theft and liability are good for us. We pay $200 a year total for both bikes, an '02 YZ426 and an '02 CR125R. Pretty good peace of mind for me, especialy the theft coverage.

Bill

• YAMAKAZE

Posted July 29, 2004 - 07:07 AM

Damn... Progressive has been ripping me off for 2 years... $250.00 for my 426...... I got my renewal notice in the mail about a week ago...I think I'll shop around a bit or just let it expire.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 29, 2004 - 01:50 PM

Damn... Progressive has been ripping me off for 2 years... $250.00 for my 426...... I got my renewal notice in the mail about a week ago...I think I'll shop around a bit or just let it expire.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

Look at your policy, it sounds like you have everything plus a bag of chips on your policy. I got 2 quotes, one was about that price and it included all kinds of things that I didn't want. I asked for "theft only" and I forgot the actual stuff that is on there (comprehensive I think?) but that policy was around $100.

• RacerDad

Posted July 29, 2004 - 03:38 PM

You're right Sirthumpalot, the guy quoting me had several different plans, as much as $800.00. I stressed that all I wanted was theft. I wound up with theft + liability, which was the the best he could do getting the theft protection at the lowest price.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.