WR450 55 watt max for headlight

3 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted July 28, 2004 - 04:08 AM

I have a Trick DS kit on my WR450 with the kit running on the 12 volt DC circuit. My headlight is seperated out and running on the 12 volt AC curcuit. I keep hearing that the whole bike is rated at about 130 watts.
Just tried running 90 watts of lighting (UFO 35 watt bulb and new 55 watt running light bulb) It was too much. The voltage dropped to 9 volts.
What I think this means is that the AC circuit is designed for only about 55 watts (Stock WR wattage), and the DC circuit is probably about 70 watts to handle the charging.
Looks like I will run the 55 watt running light for this weekend nightime dual sport ride.
Does anyone have a rewound stator? How many watts?

• Desracer

Posted July 29, 2004 - 08:03 PM

You can remove the tail light bulb so at low rpms the headlight stays brighter. You can use a glo stick for a taillight marker just duct tape it on. It helps to keep you from being run over from behind. When I run my cyclops helmet light this system works great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nate_R

Posted July 29, 2004 - 08:13 PM

Why not just use an L.E.D. for the tail light? They use almost no power, and are way bright. I'm also thinking of getting H.I.D 's for headlights. I know they are really expensive but with only 60 watts they would be alot brighter than reagular halogens.

• ETP

Posted July 30, 2004 - 03:33 AM

The LED taillight would also last longer and better for vibration. The HID headlight is not a bad idea. I will look into it. Sure would be nice to just replace the 35 watt UFO bulb with a 55 watt HID.
My bike is all set up for the night ride. Stuff hanging all over the handlebars. 55 watt light, switches, roll chart LED flashlight, etc. I'm ready!
Thanks for the advise and info guys. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.