starter bushing installation

5 replies to this topic
  • new2blu

Posted July 27, 2004 - 06:54 PM

Just received the parts for the 04 starter upgrade.
How do you remove the old bushing from the left side cover?
Most people are saying that it takes 10-15 minutes to do the upgrade--I don't think they are removing the side cover and driving it out from the backside. :thumbsup:
What is the "quick" way to remove the bushing?

• Mike_Hudson

Posted July 28, 2004 - 02:57 AM

The new starter shaft is smaller on the outside end. The bushing fits into the cover in the existing hole. I just used a plastic hammer to gently tap it into place.

• beezer

Posted July 28, 2004 - 03:49 AM

I put the bushing in the freezer and heat the case with a heat gun or a blow dryer. It should drop right in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted July 28, 2004 - 01:53 PM

am i missing something here? there is no bushing in the '03 side cover. its a blind hole. there's no way to drive it out from the back. there's no hole in the back. the only thing you have to do is remove the small round cover near the starter motor. put that cover in a box. you wont need it. remove the old idler gear assembly. it will be the gear combo, a shaft, needle bearing and a couple washers. the little hole in the back should be just plain aluminum with no bushing. the yamaha bushing isn't solid and should go in the hole with little effort. locate the split to the top.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 28, 2004 - 02:52 PM

Exactly! :devil: I find it hard to answer questions that dont make sense. :thumbsup:

• new2blu

Posted July 31, 2004 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for the info.
I took off the starter gear cover and found that there is no way to drive out the old bushing---I took the bushing out of the freezer and just tapped it in carefully then installed the rest of the 04 starter update parts.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.