Should I buy it? 2003 wr450f exc cond $4000

15 replies to this topic
  • MAXPOWER_WR_450

Posted July 27, 2004 - 02:28 AM

Does this sound like a good deal to u guys? I researched it extensively and found the book value to be around $4800. Does anyone else think this is a good deal?

• ill_caper

Posted July 27, 2004 - 04:34 AM

Sounds good to me. Just make sure you do the '04 starter upgrade. It is real easy and cane be done for approx. $180. I sold my xr650r for the WR and could never go back. This thing rips like no other bike Ive ridden. It has the a 2stroke like hit with tons of torque. You will be happy!!! :thumbsup: :devil: :awww:

• MAXPOWER_WR_450

Posted July 27, 2004 - 06:17 AM

I haven't heard of the starter upgrade. What is wrong with the '03 starters? Do they go bad or something?

• beezer

Posted July 27, 2004 - 06:50 AM

Unmodified 2003 WR450's shear the flywheel key. You then end up pushing the thing. The parts are 300 bucks to fix it. Resale value is lower because of the bad reputation.

I would buy a 2004. I had to push mine up a mountain to get home. It sucked.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 27, 2004 - 08:22 AM

Great buy take it while you can! :thumbsup:

• tigerowner_ut

Posted July 27, 2004 - 08:44 AM

The starter upgrade is easy even for the mechanically challenged like me. Get the bike and go to this site.
http://www.wr450.com...inals/index.htm
Here are all the instructions to get the bike as reliable as they come.

• MAXPOWER_WR_450

Posted July 27, 2004 - 08:45 AM

Anyone else's opinons? This is the first Im hearing about the starter problem. Did this happen to anyone else's 2003?

• ddialogue

Posted July 27, 2004 - 08:55 AM

Anyone else's opinons? This is the first Im hearing about the starter problem. Did this happen to anyone else's 2003?

It happened to a lot of them. Read HERE to get a feel for the issue. The starter upgrade resolves the issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450F_RDR

Posted July 27, 2004 - 12:04 PM

Unmodified 2003 WR450's shear the flywheel key. You then end up pushing the thing. The parts are 300 bucks to fix it. Resale value is lower because of the bad reputation. I would buy a 2004. I had to push mine up a mountain to get home. It sucked.

not all bikes had this problem, I dont know the exact number that did, but I have put 3500 miles on mine since new january last year and have not had a single problem with it.

• tigerowner_ut

Posted July 27, 2004 - 01:36 PM

Even with 3500 miles do not assume you are safe. The late model 03s had a bandaid fix that will in all likelyhood fail eventually (many have). The 04 starter upgrade is worth the price for peace of mind for ALL 03 models.

• ill_caper

Posted July 27, 2004 - 02:49 PM

MIne never failed. I just bought the upgrade for peace of mind. To be honest Im thinking of taking out the estart. This thing is easier to start than a 2smoke 250. I think it saves about 15 pounds or so? :thumbsup:... I absolutely love the WR though.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted July 27, 2004 - 03:23 PM

Even with 3500 miles do not assume you are safe. The late model 03s had a bandaid fix that will in all likelyhood fail eventually (many have). The 04 starter upgrade is worth the price for peace of mind for ALL 03 models.

not saying the 04 upgrade is not worth the price and peace of mind but people assume all 03's had problems, mine has never sheared a key, has never had the TSB done on it, never had any starter problems and I often put 70+ miles on the bike in one weekend without worring how far off road I am. just my opinion.

• timvv51

Posted July 27, 2004 - 03:56 PM

I ditto the last two posts. Greatest dirt bike I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch. You can also just take out the idler gear between the starter and flywheel to make one hundred percent certain a backfire wont shear the key. And then when you get time and or cash do the upgrade. It takes about a minute and a half to remove the idler gear. Tim

• yamahasocal450

Posted July 28, 2004 - 05:19 PM

YESYES buy it you will not be disappointed ive had my wr since january 2002 and its been through a lot, no flywheel key sheering or anything, just last weekend the starter motor siezed and needed to be replaced... but 2004 and 03 starter motors are the same??? , now it starts fine and everything, ive even started the bike and its backfired and the starter still cranks it over reguardless of the backfire. It really is an insane bike, ive jumped it on an mx track on a 4th gear table top (about 65ft) (bottomed it out :awww: ) but damn that was high for a 270 pound bike with gas, ive done mile long wheelies on a lake bed in 5th, and the best part about it is that it barely uses gas (compared to most motox bikes), i seem to be able to get 80 miles out of tank (i like lugging the bike to get traction).. but go for it, im thinking about selling mine to move towards the 2005 crf and swap that my 02 frame... or the 05 wr450 just because its green stickered and thats what matters the most to me, by the ways a new pipe will make it a totally different bike (handling wise and power wise) good luck with what you choose :thumbsup: :devil:

• BajaFool

Posted July 29, 2004 - 09:06 AM

MAXPOWER_WR_450,
Befow, are the part numbers you will need to upgrade your 03 Yamaha to the 04 starter configuration. Prices are retail.

5TJ-15498-00-00 COVER ASSY 2, $31.83
5TJ-15560-00-00 WASHER, $223.99
90201-105A8-00 WASHER, PLATE, $3.65 (2EA REQUIRED),
90380-10002-00 BUSH, SOLID, $.76
These nomenclatures are directly from the Yamaha parts catalog and must lose something in translation from Japanese to English. The $223 Washer is the Torque Limiter Gear (it comes with the gears and the axle shaft, DO NOT order the axle shaft separately which is possible). Install the two "Washers, Solid" with one on each side of the "Torque Limiter Gear". Tap the "Bush(ing), Solid" into the side case until it is flush with the inner surface. It is split and does not require the heating/cooling technique usually used to seat press fit bushings or bearings, just tap it in with a soft hammer or hammer and a block of wood until flush with the case inner surface. You don't need a new O-ring for the "Cover Assy 2", just use the old one from the original cover. You DO NOT need the L/H Side Case Assy
5TJ-15411-10-00, $92.49 as was specified in a previous post. The bushing you will purchase for under $1.00 eliminates that requirement. Some dealers have had a hard time finding the solid bushing in their index--- be insistant--- the part number above is correct and the part is available. If need be, shame them into looking harder by threatening to go to a dealer that knows what they are doing :.)
If you are slow and take time to inspect the entire job, it should take all of 10 minutes. I think that this update is an absolute must for peace of mind. My woodruff key has been loctited, but the update is the answer to eliminating the chance of shearing the woodruff key in the future.
If you have trouble getting parts, Motoworld of El Cajon (near San Diego, California) can't be beat!!!

• JVP

Posted August 02, 2004 - 07:49 AM

BajaFool. Hey, I live around the corner from you in Mt. Helix. If you want to get together for a ride at Corral Canyon let me know.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.