Suspension question "YZ450" am I headed in the right direction

1 reply to this topic
  • comp178z

Posted July 27, 2004 - 01:50 AM

My bike is a 2003 YZ450F and I have read through the suspension section of the site, and have noticed a few things... One is about where the forks are in the clamps. My bike stock, the top of the forks are flush with the top of the clamps. I read that the top of the forks should be 10 to 12 mm higher than the top of the clamp. What does this improve with the suspension, and how do you go about doing it. I looked at some pictures on the internet of the pro's bikes and they all have the forks higher than the clamps like I have heard. Also, my bike has been having a problem with the front end wanting to slap the bars from side to side when at high speeds. I think I gathered that the bike needs more rebound to cure this problem. Also the front is a little stiff for me, so I should back down on the compression a few clicks. The rear seems to be real close at its stock setting maybe a little stiff for my weight, but I can live with it, so I dont think I need to mess with that too much. Also, on the 03's what are the clicker settings from the factory, a buddy of mine was messin with the settings on the forks, so I would like to start with factory. And my last question for you guys, is which is compression and rebound on the front? Am I headed in the right direction, or am I totally off here.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted July 27, 2004 - 03:48 AM

In looking at your post it looks like you have a few questions :thumbsup:

1: I read that the top of the forks should be 10 to 12 mm higher than the top of the clamp. What does this improve with the suspension, and how do you go about doing it.

2: my bike has been having a problem with the front end wanting to slap the bars from side to side when at high speeds. I think I gathered that the bike needs more rebound to cure this problem.

3: Also the front is a little stiff for me, so I should back down on the compression a few clicks.

4: Also, on the 03's what are the clicker settings from the factory,

First off
a buddy of mine was messin with the settings on the forks :devil: from your posts above sounds like your buddy screwed you up a bit.

Any way to answer number 1
You will have to loosen the triple tree bolts to slide the forks up in the tree. I assume you have no manual since you are asking the question. Suggestion go get a OEM yz manual or buy a Chilton's.
The tubes will have a etched line about 10mm from the top of the tube. If you have no way to measure aka MM ruler or Mic, then use these etched lines as a starting point. Slide each tub up until the etched line is level with the top of the top clamp.

This may help with your head shake some, but not all, what it does is lower the front end in the clamps thus shortening the Trial and wheel base of the bike Hence making it a bit more stable in tight stuff.

2: Suspension set up is crucial, not knowing what your settings are at now or what stock is, I will pass, you made a good choice to set everything back to Factory.

3: Stiff can be from many things, oil capacity, compression or air to springs. It depends on how you wish to set them up and your particular style. I like my settings a little on the plush side. I took my shocks and forks in for valving at aftershocks. You may want to do the same, Aftershocks, MX-Tech or some other reputable suspension guru

4: DOnt know

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.