Steering head grease

5 replies to this topic
  • gearbox

Posted July 26, 2004 - 02:17 PM

Hi all,
A while back there was some discussion about installing grease fittings into the steering head. I'm due to grease mine now but would prefer to disassemble it only once.
1) Can this be done on the WR without complications within the steering head?

2) Can this be done by only disassembling the steering head and not the cables, wires, etc. ? (just push the whole triple clamp/fork assembly off to the side STILL IN ONE PIECE with the wires, cables still intact.

3)Where is the best placement of the grease fitting?
(On the left side midway up?)

Has anyone done it yet ??????? It would make life alot easier. I've heard that the hot engine oil in the frame can really bake the grease out of the steering head quite quickly.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 26, 2004 - 03:44 PM

I dont think it is practical to put a grease fitting on a tapered bearing system. Best pull everything off and grease it with white lithium based marine grease. :thumbsup:

• MOmilkman

Posted July 27, 2004 - 03:50 AM

I installed a zerk on my 99, well,,.. back in 99,.. and have never disassembeled it since.
Just a few new squirts of grease and your good to go.
You wont regret doing it. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KentuckyWR

Posted July 27, 2004 - 04:21 AM

Did the same on all my XR's in the past . . . works very well!
Highly recommended . . . remember that hot oil is circulating through your frame just below the stem . . .

• jchantzWR400F

Posted July 27, 2004 - 09:52 AM

I installed a zerk on my 99, well,,.. back in 99,.. and have never disassembeled it since.
Just a few new squirts of grease and your good to go.
You wont regret doing it. :thumbsup:

I've done the same thing. Never had my steering head apart. Just keep her full of grease and you'll be good to go.

• basicblues

Posted July 30, 2004 - 10:42 AM

Hey Gearbox,

If you PM your email address I may be able to send you photo's (if I still have them) of the zerk fitting I installed in my bike several months ago. I decided to go ahead with the install since my bike was all apart anyway when install new triple clamps. It might not make much difference overall but I would rather have the grease there instead of the possibility of water/moisture and the rust factor.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.