how often should linkage bearings be checked?

8 replies to this topic
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted July 26, 2004 - 06:52 AM

I've got a 99 WR400 and this weekend I changed my top stearing head bearing because it was all but completely dry. The bike only has about 50hrs. on it, so I'm wondering if I should go ahead and check the linkage bearings. Do they pack these better at the factory than the stearing head? How often do you guys check yours? I'm going to check them at the end of the season any way, but is it safe to wait? Thanks

• ddialogue

Posted July 26, 2004 - 06:56 AM

I check and regrease mine twice a year and sometimes more often than that depending on the number of water crossings I've done in the spring.

The factory doesn't use much grease at all so they're probably long overdue. If it were me, I'd be setting some time aside to get them done. :thumbsup:

• JVP

Posted July 26, 2004 - 07:48 AM

This is my next PM. How difficult is this to do? I read the shop manual. Is there any tricks or thing to watch for?

• ddialogue

Posted July 26, 2004 - 08:11 AM

I don't think it's difficult at all, just a little time consuming. It's fairly straightforward. You'll do fine. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Treebark

Posted July 26, 2004 - 08:52 AM

I would spend some time on regreasing the bearings if not sure. Depending on how much you ride and where you ride I check mine every 3 months or so. It's not that hard and repair on these items can be very costly.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted July 26, 2004 - 10:18 AM

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

• WR450F_RDR

Posted July 26, 2004 - 12:10 PM

Also beware as I found out, if you use a power sprayer on your bike it is real easy to get water past the seals on your wheels and end up have the bearing rust up and wear out. I have sworn off powersprayers.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted July 26, 2004 - 05:04 PM

Also beware as I found out, if you use a power sprayer on your bike it is real easy to get water past the seals on your wheels and end up have the bearing rust up and wear out. I have sworn off powersprayers.

I use one, but that is why I don't get any closer than about 16in. or so, even on the hardest stuff to get off.

Good news and bad news. The good news is that I ripped the linkage apart and all seems to be well (except the top shock bearing is a bit too stiff) so I will re-grease everything and put it all back togeather.

Now the bad news. I can't explain how much I hate people that don't lube pivot shafts i.e. axles, linkage bolts etc. :lol: :D I had to pound on my rear axle for about 20min. to get it out. :awww: The axle was dry and has mildly rusted to the wheel spacers, bearings, and inner spacer. In the process of driving out the axle I managed to completely drive out the seal on the sprocket side of the wheel and nearly drove out the brearing!

I recently rebuilt a 93 yz 250 for a friend (he doesn't know anything mechanical and I needed the money :lol:) and who ever owned it before him took out all the linkage bolts and re-assembled the bike without any lube on the bolts :D. I never did get the swing arm pivot bolt out (even after about 45min. of pounding with a 10lbs. sledge and a 3lbs. sledge backing the frame on the other side). I had to cut out the linkage-frame bolt with a carbon wheel on my hand grinder (took about 45min.) :snore:, I managed to pound out the linkage-subframe bolt (15min.) and the linkage-shock bolt was nearly worn in half! HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO PUT SOME STINKIN' LUBE ON BOLTS WHEN YOU RE-ASSEMBLE? :thumbsup: :devil: :awww: :lol: :D

• Carl_A

Posted July 28, 2004 - 01:06 AM

In the (I think) wr 250 forum for some time ago, there was a pretty good thread about degreasing the linkage and swingarm bearings.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.