Dual Sport Gearing

4 replies to this topic
  • Honda_Man_4

Posted July 26, 2004 - 05:59 AM

I am dual sporting my xr 600 and i would like to know what a good gear ratio is for DS bikes.

• Dual_Dog

Posted July 26, 2004 - 09:17 AM

A lot of it will depend on how much street riding you plan on doing. For starters try going up 1 tooth on the stock 14-tooth countershaft sprocket to a 15. This is equal to about dropping 3 teeth on the drive sprocket and your chain should work fine. If taller gearing is what you're after, this will do it.

I use different c/s sprockets and swap them out regularly depending on the terrain and time spent riding on each. Trail side swaps are relatively quick and the c/s sprockets are small and easy to pack in your gear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JetPilot

Posted July 26, 2004 - 09:56 AM

I run 15 front and 48 rear on my XR600R and its perfect !!! Bike is fast on the street and revs are kept at a reasonable level on the highway... Still no problems in the hills etc. Bike has so much low end torque I still almost never find myself using first gear :thumbsup:

• Honda_Man_4

Posted July 26, 2004 - 11:50 AM

"A lot of it will depend on how much street riding you plan on doing."
I use my bike to go everywhere i go since i cant drive yet. i will usualy be riding on the street but ride on fire rodes and a few rough trails about once a week.

• Dual_Dog

Posted July 26, 2004 - 05:28 PM

i will usualy be riding on the street...

15-47 or 15-45 should work for that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.