cleaning air filter

8 replies to this topic
  • 450high

Posted July 26, 2004 - 12:35 AM

What do i use to clean my air filter.I have been told turps,kero or petrol by different people but which is the best.Also how much oil do i use.
Thanks dave

• The_Missile

Posted July 26, 2004 - 01:18 AM

wash it in warm water with lots of soap
rinse thoroughly and let it dry thoroughly
re-oil with just enough to spread easily through the filter - use a fliter oil. It is fluid at first to get a good spread and then it thickens.

Put the oil and filter in a clear plastic bag and knead. Avoids getting your hands all oily. Also use the bag to hold the filter when you reinstall...

• endurodog

Posted July 26, 2004 - 01:45 AM

I start with a dunk in a kerosene bath, ring all of it out. Then I wash with dish soap, rinse all that out. Let dry till the filter is damp. Oil with Belray filter oil, but on and squeeze, don't ring. I use enough oil that it starts dripping out. Squeeze as much as I can out then. Filter is ready to go.

I have a couple of filters and clean them when they are all dirty. I store the clean ones in a plastic grocery bag.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 26, 2004 - 02:59 AM

Soap and water just dont cut it alone. A pre dip in Kerosene or an offical oil filter cleaner is your best bet to truely getting a clean filter. I run 2 as Endurodog says and bag them in a plastic bag dry and unoiled. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Treebark

Posted July 26, 2004 - 08:23 AM

The best thing I found to use is K&N filter care service kit it comes with filter cleaner and spray on filter oil. I clean my filter after every ride just about. Cleaning is easy spray on and leave it set for about 5 min and rinse out with water every thing comes out with out a oily residue.Spray the filter oil on and away you go.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 26, 2004 - 10:58 AM

I've done it all. The easiest filter maintenance I've found is a quick couple of dips in a bucket of kerosene, squeeze out real well, then use warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Dawn cuts right through the grease and oil. With non-Dawn, you will be there all day. Dry the filters in front of a floor fan in the garage and then oil with cheap motor oil. The oiled filter catches the dust and makes the next cleanup even easier. All you guys who poo-poo using regular oil in the filters: the manual says to use motor oil and I never find dust inside my air boot. I find that the motor runs better using the lighter weight oil in the filter AND you don't have to let the freshly-oiled filter sit overnight like you do with the "filter" oils.

• dale

Posted July 26, 2004 - 11:07 AM

All you guys who poo-poo using regular oil in the filters: the manual says to use motor oil and I never find dust inside my air boot. I find that the motor runs better using the lighter weight oil in the filter AND you don't have to let the freshly-oiled filter sit overnight like you do with the "filter" oils.

The biggest negative about motor oil is if you go very long between cleanings it drains to the bottom of the filter. If you clean often no problem. I still use regular filter oil, and also a pre-filter. Dusk is seldom a problem in OH, so I can change the prefilter a couple times before cleaning the filter. It's like changing the engine oil, the most important thing is JUST DO IT.

• 450high

Posted July 26, 2004 - 11:38 AM

Thanks everyone for the replys.
Dave

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 26, 2004 - 12:32 PM

The biggest negative about motor oil is if you go very long between cleanings it drains to the bottom of the filter. If you clean often no problem.

True, it is a bit messy with the oil draining to the bottom of the filter, but it isn't a performance problem. Even after the filter sits for weeks, if you pinch the top of the filter, you will see a little oil squeezing between your fingers, so there is still plenty in the filter. The stuff that drains off is the "extra" oil that you didn't need anyway. So motor oil helps keep you from over-oiling the filter

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.