got my perch adjuster for the z-start...

2 replies to this topic
  • tool

Posted July 24, 2004 - 10:09 AM

if any of you recall my recent problems with the z-start, i couldnt hillclimb without a clutch lever. so i ordered the perch adjuster and put it on this morning.
when i rode it, the stall speed was too high. i had to turn the barrel adjuster counter-clockwise all the way to get my stall speed low enough. the stall speed is fine now, my problem is with the cable slack:
i have a ton of play in the cable, thats the only way it would work. if i pull the lever with 2 fingers, i can gain some rpm and eliminate the chatter, but the bike will still take off if i gas it. when i pull the lever to the bar, i can barely find nuetral - it still drags a bit too much.
so it doesnt actually override the auto, it just gives me a little more control over it. this cant be the way its supposed to work, since the intructions say to have a nickels-worth of play at 4500 rpm, and i have much more than that.
anyone know what the problem is? would it help if i reconnected the stock actuator spring down on the engine? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rbm33

Posted July 24, 2004 - 11:45 AM

it sounds like you need to adjust your cable length. you can adjust it by turning out the barrell on the perch itself and where the clutch cable is joined by the factory. if both places are adjusted all the way out i woul dget another cable.

i have the adjuster on a 450 and it works pretty good. i get a little creeping when i rev it up hard with the clutch in, but overall it works pretty well.

just be sure not to get it to tight to where you dont have any slack at around 4000 rpm.

• tool

Posted July 25, 2004 - 02:30 PM

i am able to get some slack out with the adjuster on the stock perch, but that rubber adjuster boot that you have to cut is flexing. i think this may be why i need to pull the lever to the bars before it almost fully disengages, im getting a very spongy feel.
anyone know how i can stiffen the rubber boot so that it does flex? :thumbsup: its the part that the "threaded inner sleeve" fits into.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.