New '02 YZ426F Owner...Input?

5 replies to this topic
  • mrtimely

Posted July 24, 2004 - 09:37 AM

Just picked up 4-strokes for me and the boys, our first thumpers. I am used to 2-stroke MX'ers. Lots of good feedback here at TT, I appreciate all the forums to reference. I would like to be able to race AND trail ride the 426F. Sounds like gearing and autoclutch or flywheel wt would do the trick, along with various guards. Comments on what to check on the bike being it is a used bike? Good website to get mods? Ways to make it start easier? As usual, input appreciated.

2002 YZ426F - stock
2003 TTR125L - stock

• bhracing

Posted July 24, 2004 - 11:21 AM

The 02 is a good bike, I got mine new in 02 and have not had any problems with it. The auto clutch is the way to go I recomend the rekluse, If you plan on riding in the woods then gearing it up ( adding up to 4 teeth) on the rear sprocket helps move the power more towards the start of the RPM's. Anything you want to know about it, just type it in the search icon, lots of info in there. :thumbsup: :devil:

• Satch0922

Posted July 24, 2004 - 11:36 AM

Read the 450 exhaust cam post at the top of this forum. This will make you a much happier 426 owner!! I have had the cam installed for a year and a few months now. No downside what so ever! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamTFO1

Posted July 27, 2004 - 07:09 AM

Just picked up 4-strokes for me and the boys, our first thumpers. I am used to 2-stroke MX'ers. Lots of good feedback here at TT, I appreciate all the forums to reference. I would like to be able to race AND trail ride the 426F. Sounds like gearing and autoclutch or flywheel wt would do the trick, along with various guards. Comments on what to check on the bike being it is a used bike? Good website to get mods? Ways to make it start easier? As usual, input appreciated.

2002 YZ426F - stock
2003 TTR125L - stock

Be careful of just putting around on this bike you will overheat and lose water,to help with this get a good coolant and up the radiator cap to new one(1.6 kawasaki) this should do the trick.As far as starting it they all have their little tricks hell mine you have to pull the hot start button and the choke out when you first start it go figure? Any way your in the right spot to find out good info! :thumbsup:

• Florida_426

Posted July 30, 2004 - 07:57 AM

mrtimely,
I have had my '02 426 since May of 2002. I purchased it new and I love it. I would recommend a DR. D hot start kit for your new scoot. Clutches and flywheel weights will depend on where and how you ride. The 450 cam swap is the best money you can spend on a 426 for pure ease of use and less frustration. Like the earlier post said do a search and also go to the Motoman393 website to get some top notch tips on how to make a 426 easier to live with on a daily basis. Good luck and welcome to Thumper Talk!.

Regards,
Bill

• AintSkeerd

Posted August 04, 2004 - 04:22 PM

I have an 02 426, purchased new. Be sure to Red Locktite the sprocket bolts. If they become loose and the bolt holes in hub start to ovalize, you will never keep them tight again. I broke my hub on the last lap at the Honda Classic Hare Scrambles in Hollister due to the bolts loosening. Had to replace the hub. Have it all Red Locktighted now since the hub was new and no problems. Be sure to locktight the shroud and fender, bolts too. Otherwise they work themselves loose.

When I first got the bike, I could hardly start it. But after reading Dubach's section on the Yamaha website and a the engine broke in, it starts first kick almost everytime.

You've purchased a good bike and should be very happy with it. My next mod will be the auto-decompression cam. Already got the Dr. D bar mounted hot-start lever. Check out ProMoto Billet (PMB) for a spark arrestor and quiet insert. It works in the stock muffler which is much stronger and better fit than the FMF Q I tried. The FMF Q vibrated apart, had poor mounting and burnt the fender.

Hope all this helps!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.