Final product-Street legal WR450(pics)

28 replies to this topic
  • r_dawg1021

Posted July 23, 2004 - 05:02 PM

Its been about 2 weeks in the making and I finally got it all put together and made the trip to the DMV today. Got home today threw the plate on and went for a ride. Thought I'd share a few pics cause it was a little bit of work to get this thing going :thumbsup:

Left Rear

Left Front

Front Right

Left Rear

Right Side

• timvv51

Posted July 23, 2004 - 05:16 PM

Nice! Give us a rundown on what type of kit you used and if you think the installation was as advertised. I need one myself. Tim

• trunkmonkey55

Posted July 23, 2004 - 07:39 PM

about how much did it cost you? I looks good, good job. :thumbsup:

• r_dawg1021

Posted July 23, 2004 - 07:49 PM

Nice! Give us a rundown on what type of kit you used and if you think the installation was as advertised. I need one myself. Tim

I got the kit from Baja Designs and I am totally happy with the install and the final product. I've read some unhappy stories about Baja Designs but it's my opinion that they have improved on the kit. They have phased the 2 outputs of the stator into a strong DC output. This allows the battery to get a nice charge while at the same time putting out a strong signal to all lights. I also installed a nice digital speedometer which was $75. I put the entire kit on in one night with the exception of the brake light switch which took about 30 minutes the next day.

The downside. The kit was ~425 after speedometer and the stator that I had to send back to them in order to have them float the ground.

The DMV experience was great and it made it all worth it. I hate to post something like this when I see some many guys struggling to get their bikes on the road in other states. If you have anymore questions I'll answer anything. :thumbsup:

• trunkmonkey55

Posted July 23, 2004 - 08:06 PM

its nice to see where your from, (oregon).. and that its was easy to go through DMV. Im in cornelius about 15 min. away from you. Maybe when that time comes I can meet with you and you can give me some pointers on the street kit. My Girlfriend lives on hall Blvd. so I think Im kinda close. :thumbsup: :devil:

• r_dawg1021

Posted July 23, 2004 - 08:11 PM

its nice to see where your from, (oregon).. and that its was easy to go through DMV. Im in cornelius about 15 min. away from you. Maybe when that time comes I can meet with you and you can give me some pointers on the street kit. My Girlfriend lives on hall Blvd. so I think Im kinda close. :thumbsup: :devil:

I sent you a PM with my contact info. Shoot me an email when you wanna talk about getting something together for your bike. Or any other questions in general.. :awww:

• trunkmonkey55

Posted July 23, 2004 - 08:15 PM

sweet thanks. are you good with your bike as far as working on it. Im new with anything this new and complex. :thumbsup:

• r_dawg1021

Posted July 23, 2004 - 08:19 PM

I am coming into dirt bikes from the street so I don't know that much about dirt. I know a lot about technique and enough about the bikes to keep them in good working order. I've never changed a tire, chain, cracked the case or anything like that. If I was short on cash and needed to I am sure I could, I like to leave that stuff to people that know what they are doing.

Installing the Baja kit was easy for anyone that can read directions and has good attention to detail to make sure things get hidden well.

• N7SLC

Posted July 24, 2004 - 04:59 AM

Which speedometer did you use?

• r_dawg1021

Posted July 24, 2004 - 01:54 PM

Which speedometer did you use?

I used the trailtech speedo. It was the best one in my opinion for under $100.

TrailTech Speedo pic

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted July 24, 2004 - 09:44 PM

great looking bike :thumbsup:
Feel sorry for all you guys that have to go to so much trouble to ride your bikes on the road. All WR's, CRFX's, EXC's etc etc are road reg'g from the dealer here in Oz.
Yamaha even sell a road registered YZ250WR which is a 2 smoke MX bike with lights and a quieter muffler.

• ddialogue

Posted July 25, 2004 - 05:19 AM

So, when are you gonna take that bike off-road? :devil: :thumbsup:

• r_dawg1021

Posted July 25, 2004 - 05:27 AM

Was scheduled for a ride today but as it is right now the bike isnt running correctly. I turned the pilot screw out a bit too much and while out riding Friday it fell out. I sputtered back logged on to TT and bought a Zip-Ty. It'll be a week or so.... :thumbsup:

• tigerowner_ut

Posted July 25, 2004 - 02:39 PM

Is that the stock Exhaust plug in the muffler? Yank that puppy out, put in a GYRT of PRO Moto Billet Insert, Cut down the throttle stop, and unplug the grey wire or your new bike will run like a TTR 225. Search for free mods for more details.

• jaggley

Posted July 25, 2004 - 03:22 PM

What about the ignition? I have an '04 WR450F and am thinking about adding the same kit as you. I want to try some of the dual rides in Michigan and they require it. However, The first time you park this at a store or something, all someone has to do is push the on/off button and away they go.

• jaggley

Posted July 25, 2004 - 03:25 PM

Oh, one more thing, what tires are you going to run? The stock ones will be bald as an egg at about ten miles on the road. Your bike looks great, good job! I like how nothing sticks out too far. :thumbsup:

• r_dawg1021

Posted July 25, 2004 - 07:09 PM

Is that the stock Exhaust plug in the muffler? Yank that puppy out, put in a GYRT of PRO Moto Billet Insert, Cut down the throttle stop, and unplug the grey wire or your new bike will run like a TTR 225. Search for free mods for more details.

Yes, it's the stock cork. The priority was to spend cash on getting it street legal. Adding a can to get 3hp wasnt a high priority just yet. I had been riding around the neighborhood while making some adjustments and having it uncorked wouldnt make the neighbors too happy. I have done the free mods with the exception of the grey wire.

• r_dawg1021

Posted July 25, 2004 - 07:12 PM

Oh, one more thing, what tires are you going to run? The stock ones will be bald as an egg at about ten miles on the road. Your bike looks great, good job! I like how nothing sticks out too far. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what tires to get. That's my next research project as well as getting some exhaust on it. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to anything. I'll probably have to hit up the SuperMoto forum or one of the others. I'll obviously do a 'search' first....

Thanks, I worked pretty hard to get this all going and it paid off finally.

• phazelag

Posted July 25, 2004 - 08:02 PM

That is a the coolest bike Ive seen in a while. I came on here to do a search about a WR Dual sport and yours was the first post here. I am thinking about doing that in CA but I need to do a search on here about the new law and possible suspension of that law I have heard rumers of. Anyway your bike is SWEET!
Z

• WR450F_RDR

Posted July 26, 2004 - 03:45 AM

I have been told by my local shop that you can get away with non-dot tires in Oregon, nobody he knows has been cited for not having them, he is part of a dual sport club here in Southern Oregon. I run Dunlop 756's front and rear and am pretty happy with them. You will want to get the stock exhaust off the bike as soon as possible, you wont believe the difference in power when you do.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.