Best degreaser

13 replies to this topic
  • WRider995

Posted July 23, 2004 - 07:07 AM

For those of you that like your cycle to be nice and clean, the best stuff I've come across is Castrol Super Clean. It comes in a gallon sized coolant-style purple container. You can get all that chain fling off (i use an old toothbrush for the tight spots) simply by mixing it 50/50 with water. Don't leave it on long though since it'll sort of discolor aluminum if you forget to rinse it. It's awesome on rims and spokes. I keep the hose right there as you go. The stuff works and it's relatively cheap ($8 for a gallon). Avoid your bearing areas though if you can. I've used it on driveways and car engines, too. :thumbsup:

• KentuckyWR

Posted July 23, 2004 - 07:14 AM

Simple Green works well and so does Dawn Dishwashing Detergent that is slightly diluted so you can spray it on. Neither really harms any surfaces.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 23, 2004 - 10:27 AM

Simplegreen :thumbsup:

• RodFugler

Posted July 23, 2004 - 11:34 AM

My Wife and I used to use Castrol Super Clean, but have been using Mean Green lately, seems to work better than Simple Green, we don't let it sit on the plastic for very long though, pretty strong stuff.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted July 23, 2004 - 11:41 AM

anything with sodium metasillicate in it will work great. That is the active ingredient in many of the degreasers.

• tcmII

Posted July 23, 2004 - 04:36 PM

Simple Green for me too! :thumbsup:

• trunkmonkey55

Posted July 23, 2004 - 07:58 PM

simple green rocks the house

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted July 24, 2004 - 05:34 AM

Car wash and wax and sometimes a brush is all I've needed This is Southern Calif. Not much mud out here, except for the MX tracks.
Years ago I read an MX article recommending to spray "Pam", the cooking non-stick stuff, under your fenders so mud will clean right off. I did this in the winter time after a rain (rare) ride, and it worked, but some got on my header and my bike smelled like a KFC rolling fried chicken factory for the first hour or so. :thumbsup:

• YamahaSteve

Posted July 24, 2004 - 02:11 PM

I am tossing another vote for simple green on the table... but word of caution for it: it disolves the adhesive on your graphics.

• 250cc

Posted July 24, 2004 - 04:28 PM

Simple green! :thumbsup: :devil:

• rjp

Posted July 25, 2004 - 04:15 PM

I know most of you go with the Simple Green. I've got some too. HOWEVER, being a man that has to see result myself, I did a test. I had just bought an old used tire at a gas station to install on a utility trailer. The tire was nasty from years of sitting. When I got it home I noticed it was a white-wall tire. I sprayed Simple Green on a third of the tire, Castrol Super clean on a third and Wesleys Tire White on the remaining third. I waited the recommended 5 minutes and simply sprayed off with a hose, no scrubbing. [incert drum-roll] Castrol Super clean by far was the best cleaner followed by S.Green then Wesleys. Of coarse, after scrubbing they all were great. Also this was for nasty tires, not greasy parts. (Hopefully you don't have that much grease on your bike :thumbsup:) Also this test did not take into consideration the environment. S.G is by far the best for Mother Earth.

Damn.... I need a hobby. :devil:

• dale

Posted July 26, 2004 - 11:17 AM

Years ago I read an MX article recommending to spray "Pam", the cooking non-stick stuff, under your fenders so mud will clean right off. I did this in the winter time after a rain (rare) ride, and it worked, but some got on my header and my bike smelled like a KFC rolling fried chicken factory for the first hour or so. :thumbsup:

Lots of mud in Ohio so I spray the plastic with foaming tire shine. I works and makes your plastic look shiny, but will attract dust. Also do not get it on you brakes.

• KentuckyWR

Posted July 27, 2004 - 06:29 AM

The "Pam" thing works OK, but like the guy from Ohio said, our mud on the east end is usually a little clayey and sticky . . . kinda like trying to wash peanut butter off your plastic!!

• The_Missile

Posted July 27, 2004 - 10:13 PM

I think somebody once sprayed armorall (sp) on the underside of their fenders to ward off mudd, but got some on their tyres too ending up with a more then usually sporty ride on the tarmac.!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.