Gearing / Chain on a 97 XR600

4 replies to this topic
  • Hardley_Davison

Posted July 22, 2004 - 06:10 PM

I am installing a 13/48 combo on my 97 XR600. I may want to bump the back up some still (13/50 maybe) and didn't want to cut the chain to short. I have heard this can be depressing!

I guess my question is where should I start as far as the number of links is concerned? Keeping in mind I may want to bump the back up.

I was running 14/48 with a very stretched chain on what I thought was tight singletrack. I have been informed that it gets tighter and then they will throw in elevation changes. Just in case I wasn't having enough fun :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help.

• Thumprding

Posted July 23, 2004 - 02:54 AM

I run a 13/48 combination on my 95 XR600R. Works fine in single track. Most of the time I am riding in second gear. I would start with a 13 and see how you like it before I would change the rear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hardley_Davison

Posted July 23, 2004 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Curtis,

I don't think I will have to go bigger on the back but, if I felt the need to play around I didn't want to have to buy another chain. I did some more searching and found "XR's Only" says 110 links and "Throttlehead" says 112 links :thumbsup:. I am going for 113 and if I have to I will just pull some links off.

Thanks Scott

BTW here is the XR'r link http://www.onlycrfs....prockets_7.html
At Throttlehead you just build a bike profile.
I tried to search here from both the forums and the store and couldn't find anything (on # of links), must be me I am sure it is here someplace.

• AzXr628

Posted July 24, 2004 - 04:35 AM

Scott,where did you get your 13 tooth,cause i want to chage mine too. Donn

• Hardley_Davison

Posted July 26, 2004 - 10:32 AM

I got mine from Aj's Performance here in town (Phoenix). AJ's is just across from the Deer Valley Airport on Deer Valley and like 7th ave. They had to order it from back east but it was worth the wait.

We hit the Boulders by Carefree & 99th ave Saturday. Lots of abrupt elevation changes very tight, twisty and off camber. The 13/48 with 110 links (pos 17 on the snail adjusters) was just what I needed. It is a little to low for jeep trails, fire roads or asphalt (like that old strip of the high way in front of the Wild Horse.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.