How deep can water be and still be able to cross it with a WR400/426?

10 replies to this topic
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted July 22, 2004 - 11:03 AM

I would like to know how much water can be ridden through and still be able to ride away on the other side? How deep have you guys gone? Also, what mods did you guys do to enable you to do this? I have been reading about re-routing the carb vent lines to the air box, but what else is necessary? Thanks a bunch :thumbsup: :devil:

• Fryboy

Posted July 22, 2004 - 11:53 AM

You can go as deep as the top of your airbox. I personally wouldn't push it past your seat but that is just me. FYI - I am running without airbox lid.

Reroute your carb tubes to the airbox.

Oil your wheel, steering, and linkage bearings with a high grade waterproof grease.

If you stall DO NOT start bike if your breather tube is under water. (black tube ending by your gear shifter)

Have fun!
Fryboy

• TallBoysWRF

Posted July 22, 2004 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the input. Do you have to worry about water being sucked up in the breather tube while the engine is running? What is different about starting it that causes it to suck up water?

Tim

• rockieman

Posted July 22, 2004 - 05:39 PM

I, like you have a 99 WR....I was having problems with water crossings until I did the re-route of the vent tubes. I haven't gone in too deep of water .....but I suspect you could go up to mid-engine. I would be fearful of going much deeper.

• sabin

Posted July 22, 2004 - 08:32 PM

With the up mensioned mods, up to the top of air filter box. And better leave the lid on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fryboy

Posted July 23, 2004 - 03:22 AM

Thanks for the input. Do you have to worry about water being sucked up in the breather tube while the engine is running? What is different about starting it that causes it to suck up water?

Tim

Hey TallboysWRF,

You only have to worry about water being sucked up the breather tube if you try to start your bike with the tube under water. Once it is started it won't suck :thumbsup: Sounded kinda kinky

Fryboy

• R_Little

Posted July 23, 2004 - 07:47 AM

I've stalled my 200 WR a couple times in deep water with the breatrher tube submerged maybe to cylinder level. I restarted it and never got any water in the motor. I was worried about it though! got out of the water and checked for froth on the dip stick and all was fine. That tube however has a straight shot to the valve cover and water could poor right in for sure.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 23, 2004 - 09:19 AM

My '99 is set up for deep water just in case. The two top carb breather tubes are routed up to the airbox and I put a tee in the float bowl vent tube so it's routed down like normal with the teed line going up to the airbox as well. Of course, I use waterproof grease in all the bearings.

Last year, we did a setup ride for a dual sport event in the Withlacoochee Forest in west central Florida. At the time, the Withlacoochee River was several feet over flood stage so basically the entire forest was a swamp. There were 6 of us riding and I was the only one who never stalled all day. We spent most of the 40-mile ride up to our axles in water. Some of the water holes were up to the top of the airbox. In one hole-I'm not making this up- the water was up to the top of the gas tank. When we entered it, it looked like we were fording a lake. The wake I made through it kept the water from choking out the motor. We went about 25 yards before it got shallower. Again, I didn't stall but 4 of the others did. After all that crap, we decided to postpone the ride until the water level went back down.

My friend with a WR426 rerouted his breather tubes after that ride and hasn't had deep water stalling problems ever since.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted July 23, 2004 - 10:15 AM

Wow! With what you guys are saying, It just makes me want to re-route my carb lines and go try to ride through a pond... Or... maybe not. :thumbsup:

• The_Missile

Posted July 26, 2004 - 12:57 AM

You need to do your carb lines AND your breather tube, the latter just in case you do stall in water.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted July 26, 2004 - 02:21 AM

Just what is it about starting that sucks water up the breather as compared to just running the engine?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.