Ca Dmv

9 replies to this topic
  • wood21

Posted June 07, 2001 - 09:22 PM


Has anyone been able to get a plate for their WR through Ca Dmv. Just wondering,, The dealer I went to said its workin about 70% of the time,,,,,,,,,,,,

  • imported_Scott_H

Posted June 09, 2001 - 11:53 AM


You can get a green sticker or street plate (if dual sport equipped) for US sold 98 or 99 WR 400s in CA with no problems. Only red stickers for 00 and 01 models. Bottom line is if you have a "3" or a "C" in the 8th digit of your VIN, you are hosed. 98 & 99 usually have a "W" as the 8th VIN digit.


  • SFO

Posted June 09, 2001 - 05:42 PM


I have an 01 wr426.
It has a 3 in the 8th position.
I have a green sticker.
I can't believe this no green sticker business.
Don't tell me they are going to take it away from me?

  • NWest

Posted June 09, 2001 - 06:46 PM


I bought my '00 DRZe (same problem) with a valid CA license. The guy I bought it from told me the trick is never allow the dealer to order the off-road sticker. If you get a red sticker, game-over! Either way, it is a gamble. I deliberatley bought mine pre-licensed because I didn't want to install a $500 Baja kit without a guarantee that I could use it.

  • SFO

Posted June 09, 2001 - 06:53 PM


My 94 husky and my 95 husaberg I dual registered no problem.
When did the wr's start getting red stickers?

[This message has been edited by SFO (edited 06-09-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hodaphile

Posted June 11, 2001 - 10:59 AM


I have also heard that you can't let the dealer submit the registration. Some will really push you and say that they have to register the bike. That's bull, they tack a little extra onto the registration and don't want to give it up. MAKE SURE you get the "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin" you will need it to license in most states.

If all else fails, I hear that Vermont allows you to register with no questions asked. That should clean the record and let you bring it in later to CA-DMV.

Rich aka "hodaphile"
'96 KTM 300 EXC (D/S)
'87 Suzuki LT250R Glamis pimp machine- Chrome!
Too many Hodakas to count

  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 11, 2001 - 02:13 PM


Per a DMV supervisor, if you go for street only you are ok. Street bikes have C and 3 in the 8th position. Follow the directions for registration in the Baja kit. The problems arise when people go for dual registration on red sticker bikes.
Good luck.



Posted June 12, 2001 - 03:33 AM


I live in Ohio and have no ideas what the rules in calf. are

but thee way we do it here is getting a salvage title/self assembled title

but you must have proof of ownership

sorry if way out.

  • wood21

Posted June 27, 2001 - 02:15 PM


Thanks for the info, plate just came in.

  • Dennis'_WR426

Posted June 27, 2001 - 02:38 PM


I mean no offence by this guys. But I'm glad I live in Michigan. It sounds like you people go threw endless greif about everything in California. I thought I went threw hell in Michigan a few months back.I wanted to get my WR road titled. But nothing like this. Sorry! :)
Good luck to ya,


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.