new TM40 carb for XR600

No replies to this topic
  • thumpasaurus

Posted July 22, 2004 - 08:43 AM

Some of you may recall my recent whining over my sticky slide in the stock carb. It made for tough off-idle throttle control, and that's putting it mildly. Apparently, from responses here and other lists, it is a common problem w/ the old Keihin.

So I bit the bullet and bought a new Mikuni TM40 and put it in the night before last. It came w/ an adapter on the airbox side so that it fit between the airbox/intake boots just like the stock carb, and I had to plumb a new gas line to it, but that was it. Starts 1st/2nd kick and throttle is nice and smooth. I think it may be a little rich on the pilot but I'm going to ride it more before I tinker. They sent a little pack of pilots and mains just in case.

The big news is that there was some untapped power in the upper rpms that is now.. uh.. tapped. I used to short shift since it ran out of steam kind of early, but now. :thumbsup: It was a real rush the first time I wound it out in 3rd on the trail!!

I bought it from XRsOnly, who pre-jetted the carb best guess based on my elevation and intake/exhaust setup. Far as I can tell they came real close. The only issue is that it was supposed to come w/ a Gunnar Gasser throttle, but instead it came w/ a Motion Pro that doesn't fit right w/ the cable they sent. I can't adjust enough slack out of it I called to talk about it and the guy was nice over the phone and promised to air freight me the right throttle. In the mean time I can ride it, but there is some slop in the throttle.. But as long as I get the throttle in a somewhat timely manner, I'll be a happy camper and not hold it against them. I'm so far very satisfied w/ the carb though.

Anyway, just wanted to share the info.

dan.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.