just a reminder to everyone that rides

14 replies to this topic
  • Shane_Bettin

Posted July 22, 2004 - 08:33 AM

make sure your bike is full of gas when riding the track. yesterday i hit a 70 foot table and on the lip my bike boged and stalled, it sent the bike into a crazy endo and i bailed off the front. i made the tranny on my feet but the bike was right behind me a took me out as soon as i landed. no major injuries, heels a little sore and my right arm is hard to move, think i pulled all the muscles. i also have no skin on the side of my forearm anymore. as for my bike, my new ta is wrecked, my subframe got bent back the other way haha, left rad is leaking nice and good. im sure theres more, this is just what i seen right after the crash before i went to emerg. i feel so dam* stupid cause of the cause of this wipe out.

• Thumpy79

Posted July 22, 2004 - 09:15 AM

That Sucks. Glad to hear you made it out okay though, it could have been a lot worse.

• fastenuf4u

Posted July 22, 2004 - 09:43 AM

Shane,
Although I have never ran out of gas I have left the choke on which almost got me hurt once. I guess after a 2.5 hour drive to the track the only thing you can think of is to get out and ride. Glad to hear your not hurt too bad.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 22, 2004 - 02:07 PM

I forgot to turn the gas on once! Made it 2 jumps and one strait away before it quit without warning. :thumbsup:

• bushy

Posted July 22, 2004 - 02:39 PM

Yea when these bikes are starving for gas they dont show it.

• MENDEN1

Posted July 22, 2004 - 05:38 PM

I flooded my 426, turned off the gas, after a time finally got it restarted. Did a lap, hit a double my engine died and i nose dived into the face of the next double. It sure sucked!! Hit my head real hard, had to scrap the helmet, went to ER for my shoulder. Bike was OK. Dont forget to turn on your gas!! :thumbsup:

• MENDEN1

Posted July 22, 2004 - 05:38 PM

I flooded my 426, turned off the gas, after a time finally got it restarted. Did a lap, hit a double my engine died and i nose dived into the face of the next double. It sure sucked!! Hit my head real hard, had to scrap the helmet, went to ER for my shoulder. Bike was OK. Dont forget to turn on your gas!! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sdubya307

Posted July 23, 2004 - 06:35 PM

glad your ok. FILLER UP!

• OSO

Posted July 25, 2004 - 06:20 AM

Gas is goooooooood...

• Satch0922

Posted July 25, 2004 - 07:05 AM

I would not recommend filling up the tank (if your riding MX) BUT you must check the gas level every time before riding. Make sure you know where the "sweet spot" is on the tank for the amount of riding your going to be doing.

• crf450f

Posted July 26, 2004 - 04:35 AM

:cheers:I agree, every gallon is 6 lbs, I ride my 04 450, with 1 gallon. Makes the bike not as top heavy. Why lug around 6 extra lbs, when you don't have to. The 4 strokes sip gas, unlike the 2 strokes.

• crf450f

Posted July 26, 2004 - 04:48 AM

Glad you did not get hurt bad! I always check! The thought of doing such a thing is always in the back of my mind.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted July 26, 2004 - 07:17 AM

glad your ok man. when im racing i only fill it up half way or so and then check it befor my next moto. but when im out for a open practice i fill it to the top cuz im doing more than 4 laps on the track. :thumbsup:

• oldnbold

Posted July 26, 2004 - 07:31 AM

shamefully, I think this happened to me (I can only surmise) After I got out of the hospital (9/1/00) and some of my bones healed and the fog in my brain lifted,I had about a cup of gas in the tank ..total. I know I did a human lawn dart impersonation but I can only guess as to the cause. I remember before the crash in the pits thinking "check your gas" but also being lazy and thinking I probably had enough. A very poor descision.

• Shane_Bettin

Posted July 27, 2004 - 06:02 PM

ya i usually top it off when practicing as well and then just ride till its gone. this time i just didn't top it off and started riding, was so used to having more then enough in it that it slipped my mind for the short amount of time it lasted.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.