Do 426's have a bad rep?

29 replies to this topic
  • TeamTFO1

Posted July 27, 2004 - 07:02 AM

I keep reading these posts and thinking to myself that its not the bike as much as it is the rider,I mean think about it the yz450 only has 24cc's more than the 426, does it make that much of a difference NO! My brother in law just bought a 03 yz450 and of course we raced up hills, down hills,whoops,you name it we did it,we even drag raced it down the asphalt to see who had the fastest bike,bottom line they where neck and neck,granted mine has cams in it but still not much of difference.I will however say that the bike feels much lighter,and the suspension is plush,But other than that they are pretty close, and for all the pepole that say they are hard to start why dont you learn how to kick it,I can start mine with my flip flops on second kick! Dont get me wrong I would like a electric start and all but hmmm....wouldnt that make the bike as heavy as a 426? :thumbsup:

• indiandunes

Posted July 27, 2004 - 07:16 AM

Let me clarify my reply.
In my opinion the 426 is not second best to an 04 450, it's not in the same league, for MX anyway. I know, I owned one for 2 years, and I ride MX.
The 04 450 feels lighter, and the suspension is 100% better. Bump starting the 426 is almost imposible on a track. I also hated looking down for the hot start button after a stall. The auto decompression 450f bump starts easier that a 2 stroke 250. The 426 felt like a tank, and dug into the burms like a shovel, top and front heavy. the 450 feels light as a feather. I am a small guy, so weighs matters!!!!!!!!!! Sorry if I upset you, but ask anyone who made the switch :devil:.

:thumbsup:

I think he is correct. But, for a old heavy bike, it really corners well and is stable in the whoops, and is faster than a CRF 450. A autodecomp cam will help with the bump starting.

So for less money, you get the power of the motor, but 30lbs extra of bulk to huck around than a new bike.

• Satch0922

Posted July 27, 2004 - 02:52 PM

30 extra pounds?? Mine is 232lbs with a half tank of gas.

• Jeffro426

Posted July 27, 2004 - 03:17 PM

30 extra pounds?? Mine is 232lbs with a half tank of gas.

Im assuming its a 450??

• Satch0922

Posted July 27, 2004 - 03:43 PM

nope 426...sorta :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeffro426

Posted July 27, 2004 - 05:34 PM

What do you mean sorta...looks like a 426 to me with 450 plastics...a 426 weighs dry what your claiming yours does with fluids...hard to believe unless you spent a rediculous amount of money to shave weight off...either that or your scales broken! I can see by the pic you have the sightglass under your sprocket hinting that you put the wet sump kit in...probably saving a couple pounds...but 230 with fluids?? Come on...tell us how much it REALLY weighs!!

• Satch0922

Posted July 28, 2004 - 04:48 AM

2002 weighs 232 dry...mine weighs 232 (not 230)so I offset the weight of fluids only. I weighed the bike exactly per FFR's instructions and with half tank of gas it weighed 232 , 49% front and 51% rear. This would be consistent with the "realistic" (not advertised) weight savings of such things as the 450 tank, airbox (which is alot lighter than the 426 box, 450 rear brake set up, AM 450 seat, PC pipe, removal of assorted items, lighter bars, lighter tires (yes 756's are lighter than most), lighter sprockets, a few carbon fiber parts etc. Believe it or not it does add up.

Unlike some riders I did not ADD weight like skid plates, frame guards , radiator braces etc etc. Yes it cost some $$ (not as much as you would think as some parts would have been replaced anyway) but I am still riding a 2002 competetively with my buddies who are all on 450s now (some of them on their second 450). :thumbsup:

But don't get too excited over this. The 426 is old news. Every trick know to man kind has been tried on the bike here on TT.

BTW...06' is my year to get a new 450 but I will keep the 426. :devil: :awww:

• YZ426FPilot

Posted July 28, 2004 - 05:59 PM

and for all the pepole that say they are hard to start why dont you learn how to kick it,I can start mine with my flip flops on second kick!

Yeah, no [@#$%&*!]! I can start my manual decomp yz426 in flipflops no problem! :thumbsup:

• ThumpDave

Posted July 28, 2004 - 06:02 PM

Just bought a 01 426 with big bore 450 kit for $2300 Hehe
it has the 450 cam it kicks like a 125 it's awesome!

put the cam in it and keep the bike.

I had to sell my 99yz 400f for $2000 and a Ruger 10/22 rifle.

• yz426onNOS

Posted July 28, 2004 - 06:31 PM

and for all the pepole that say they are hard to start why dont you learn how to kick it,I can start mine with my flip flops on second kick!

Yeah, no [@#$%&*!]! I can start my manual decomp yz426 in flipflops no problem! :devil:

I now tripple this. I can do the same thing. I can probly start it faster then all the new 450's. :thumbsup: Get the procedure down and it will work perfect everytime. All the rest of you that have problems are doing somthing wrong.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.