Major Problem

7 replies to this topic
  • Freestyle666

Posted July 22, 2004 - 07:08 AM

:thumbsup: Hello there every one while riding my bike at the local beach showing my mates how the beast wheelies i noticed it was becoming hard to pop the front end up so i pulled up and noticed a lot of steam coming from the large breather that comes from the top of the head any how i tried to start the bike again and there was not a lot of compression there there was still some compression there but not the right amount so off home i went. Does this mean a trip to the local dealer who is very expensive or is there a way off solving this problem. My bike is a YZF400 1999 has regular oil changes and had a full bottom end rebuild november last year due to a cracked crank case, Any help will be much appreciated

Cheers Lee

• yz426onNOS

Posted July 22, 2004 - 07:16 AM

Sounds like a blown head gasket.

• Freestyle666

Posted July 22, 2004 - 07:21 AM

:confused:The head gasket was replaced november last year not a mechanic my self but shouldnt it last longer than a year

• yz426onNOS

Posted July 22, 2004 - 07:41 AM

It should. Is your collent low? Maybe it was installed wrong. No offense. Maybe there is a scratch on the surface or some old gasket matriel left. Did you torque the bolts right? Are you pressure washing the bike? Did you do anything that shouldent have been done to the bike? Maybe you got a bad gasket?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Freestyle666

Posted July 22, 2004 - 07:46 AM

It was installed by an approved dealer the coolant level is fine but i do pressure was the bike off after every ride there seems to be nothing leaking from the gasket and there is no oil mixing with coolant :thumbsup:

• Freestyle666

Posted July 22, 2004 - 12:06 PM

Any one else got any ideas :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 22, 2004 - 02:10 PM

Head gasget sounds like a good guess to me too. Fill it with coolant, remove the rad cap and start the motor if you can. Look for bubbles in the radiator. If you see bubbles then the head gasget would be my first guess. Many things can cause a blown head gasget, the most common is probably overheating.

• Davidyz450

Posted July 22, 2004 - 06:10 PM

you can buy a very inexpensive block check kit at any parts store. It checks for co2 in your coolant. There is between 12 and 15 percent co2 in normal combustion and there should be none coming out the radiator.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.