Popping and banging through the exhaust.

7 replies to this topic
  • RIP_Swe

Posted July 21, 2004 - 01:13 PM

Hey i have a yzf400wr -00 .. And have YZF Exhaust Cam Timing..And i have put on a new WRP silencer .. My problem is when i go off trottle its popping and banging through the exhaust.Diden´t do this whit the stock silencer.. Anyone have any idea :thumbsup:.. Thanks ..

• WR_Dave

Posted July 21, 2004 - 01:35 PM

Did you install a new head pipe to muffler pipe gasket when you made the switch to the new muffler( 2 strokes use silencers)?? If the muffler seal leaks air it will backfire and pop like an old farm truck with 3 year old gas in it. :busted:Also the engine may now be running lean, adjust the pilot screw for more fuel and flip the ACV valve. Just my .02--WR Dave.

• RIP_Swe

Posted July 22, 2004 - 09:54 AM

Yes i have a new gasket ... It´s a 4 stroke muffler ...i have tried the pilot screw .. Have to try the acv valve .. Tahnx

• N7SLC

Posted July 22, 2004 - 10:39 AM

Hey i have a yzf400wr -00 .. And have YZF Exhaust Cam Timing..And i have put on a new WRP silencer .. My problem is when i go off trottle its popping and banging through the exhaust.Diden´t do this whit the stock silencer.. Anyone have any idea :thumbsup:.. Thanks ..

You put a free-flowing muffler on it and now the bottom is lean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • N7SLC

Posted July 22, 2004 - 10:39 AM

You put a free-flowing muffler on it and now the bottom is lean.

• jerryls

Posted July 22, 2004 - 11:02 AM

I vote for lean as well. But if you richen it up and it keeps popping, it's the gasket between the headpipe and the muffler. When my bike was brand new it was popping exactly like yours. I took some high temp RTV, pulled out the gasket, coated both sides with the RTV, and reinstalled. No more popping! (But my fingers were an orange-ish color for a couple days from the RTV.)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 22, 2004 - 11:03 AM

Rip, at any point did you go through the carb? Does the bike run better with the choke on?

Just curious..

Dan

• RIP_Swe

Posted July 23, 2004 - 09:11 AM

Thanx guys ..U were right its was lean ... I have done ACV valve and move the needle one click ... Now the bike is more direct on trottle and no popping ... :devil: :thumbsup: Thanx ..Henrik

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.