YZ450 Drag racing a street bike! Need some tips!

25 replies to this topic
  • yamaha.dude

Posted July 23, 2004 - 02:14 AM

Once you get your gearing sorted, look at fitting an old street tire to your rim for the traction, or if you have a worn down knobbie, you might be able to warm that up on some bitumen with the front wheel against a wall or fence... then get out and launch that sucker... you will probably have to slip the clutch to get the drive without the front wheel too much of a bother... though a rolling start would eliminate that to a degree...

I think your experience on bikes may be the winning edge... :thumbsup:

David

• stainlessTT

Posted July 23, 2004 - 05:59 PM

Once you get your gearing sorted, look at fitting an old street tire to your rim for the traction, or if you have a worn down knobbie, you might be able to warm that up on some bitumen with the front wheel against a wall or fence... then get out and launch that sucker... you will probably have to slip the clutch to get the drive without the front wheel too much of a bother... though a rolling start would eliminate that to a degree...

I think your experience on bikes may be the winning edge... :awww:

David

Hey man thanks for the support and advise.

But traction is not the problem.. well actully it is . I'm getting too much traction. I tested taking off in 2nd and in 3rd and still I can't keep the front end down. Im sitting all over the top of the gas tank but it still picks up the front every time. And not just a little bit, I mean it stands straight up if I don't stop it. Go to the general forum and look for the subject "Drag Race YZ450 vs. FZ6" and read my last post for my theroy of the only way I can win this race. :thumbsup:

Thanks clown! Just kidding :devil:

• yamaha.dude

Posted July 23, 2004 - 06:08 PM

I think your experience on bikes may be the winning edge... :awww:

David

Hey man thanks for the support and advise.

But traction is not the problem.. well actully it is . I'm getting too much traction. I tested taking off in 2nd and in 3rd and still I can't keep the front end down. Im sitting all over the top of the gas tank but it still picks up the front every time. And not just a little bit, I mean it stands straight up if I don't stop it. Go to the general forum and look for the subject "Drag Race YZ450 vs. FZ6" and read my last post for my theroy of the only way I can win this race. :thumbsup:

Thanks clown! Just kidding :devil:

With a street tire, you will be able to slip it and what situation is better... a rear tire slipping because of the power, or one that is going slower than the engine can drive it...

once you slip that clutch and let that tire heat up, it is going to be hard to get you because of the gearbox ratios on the dirtbike... at least for the first 200yards anyway...

David

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • durtslinger

Posted July 23, 2004 - 06:17 PM

I would say practice your starts in 2nd and 3rd...practice smooth clutch release as its key to a good start on asphalt, and sit way forward to help keep the front end down. My 426 spanks my friends CBR 900 for less than an 1/8th of a mile with 15/47 gearing(good for about 92 MPH or so), then he would go screaming by. :devil:

My R1 will spank my 426 like it is still in neutral every time.
If you race a squid you may win because he stalls it, but if he gets into 2nd gear- you are done.
I will pull lengths in the 1st 60ft let alone 1/8th mile.
You may be able to beat a shadow 600, but why? :thumbsup:

• danstorm801

Posted July 25, 2004 - 07:50 AM

If wheelying is your problem, move your forks up in the clamps as high as they'll go, buy a works connection E-Z holeshot, or just strap your front end down. Moving the forks up and strapping the front end will help while going through gears, the holeshot will help the start only. See if you can find a good dual sport tire for the rear, or even a Maxxis flat tracker (depending on how much $$$ you want to spend to win). In a 1/8 mile, I think you'll be beter off with the 48 tooth rear, because the 40 will make it run a little more sluggish.

• 250f_#97

Posted July 25, 2004 - 04:54 PM

I HAVE THREE WORDS FOR YOU......YOU.....WILL......LOSE....

YEARS ON DIRT AND STREET AND TEST RESULTS FROM MAGAZINES WILL GIVE YOU AN ESTIMATED ZERO TO SIXTY TIME OF APPROXIMATELY 3 SECONDS...NO WAY IN HALL WILL YOU BEAT HIM, UNLESS HES A SQUID AND CAN'T RIDE WORTH A TURD. :thumbsup: :devil:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.