Moab in October...mark those calendars boys!!

84 replies to this topic
  • live_to_ride

Posted August 16, 2004 - 07:25 AM

Hey Dave- Are you staying in monticello saturday night? Where is everyone else staying?

• ddialogue

Posted August 16, 2004 - 07:56 AM

I'll actually be driving back to Salt Lake on Saturday night. I have a long drive back to Boise and I like to split up the drives (5.5 hours to Boise from SLC and 4.5 hours to SLC from Monticello.) Free room and board at my folks place in SLC. :thumbsup:

• rush66

Posted August 16, 2004 - 07:56 AM

sure can and theres enough trails up there that i haven't even been over all of them so i think we can entertain ourselves for a day :thumbsup:

• live_to_ride

Posted August 16, 2004 - 09:29 AM

This is going to ROCK!!! :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 16, 2004 - 04:17 PM

Dave may be gone on Saturday night but I plan to ride Sunday and head home on Monday or Tuesday if enough people want to stay and ride. :thumbsup: :devil:

• live_to_ride

Posted August 16, 2004 - 06:09 PM

I'll probably be able to stay. :thumbsup: All they hype about 10-mile wash makes me hope that is also on the agenda.

• ddialogue

Posted August 17, 2004 - 03:17 AM

I'll probably be able to stay. :devil: All they hype about 10-mile wash makes me hope that is also on the agenda.

Ten Mile wash was definitely a hoot! I'd love to go there again but I've heard good things about the Abajo mountains in Monticello and I'm all for riding new stuff when I get the chance.... :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted August 28, 2004 - 06:55 PM

Guys,

Check out the ride schedule and email me (david@wr450.com) with any comments or questions. We need to make a final decision about the Saturday ride.

Moab Ride Schedule

:thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 29, 2004 - 09:27 PM

Thanks Dave. I will respond to the ride web site but Monticello sounds like a full day of fun. :thumbsup:

• redmanrandyed

Posted September 07, 2004 - 06:59 AM

Is this going to be a race pace type of ride or is it going to be a more relaxed, scenic type of ride?
How technical is the terrain and how many miles are we going to be putting on the bikes per ride?

Thanks

Redmanrandyed

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted September 07, 2004 - 10:16 AM

I would think it is more of a medium pace and very technical ride with a group of 13 or more. With several loops a day you can ride as much as you want and call it a day at any time. I would expect that there will be a lot of short stops to pull the group together and help on the tough technical sections if you get stuck. 50 to 100 miles minimum per day is what I would expect. Come and join the group. Everyone is going to have a good time. Please sign up on the TT ride web site:
http://wr450.com/ttmoabride/
:thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted September 07, 2004 - 10:48 AM

Is this going to be a race pace type of ride or is it going to be a more relaxed, scenic type of ride?
How technical is the terrain and how many miles are we going to be putting on the bikes per ride?

Thanks

Redmanrandyed

As Indy stated, it's going to be a medium pace. That said, however, I like to take photos and enjoy the scenery so we'll stop often but not every five minutes. Besides that, I'll be dinking with a helmet cam so...

• ryster

Posted September 07, 2004 - 03:31 PM

Three more here wanting to join the fun if that is ok. I dont know if there is such a thing as having too many riders.
We have always wanted to ride moab and it would be cool to
go with people who know the way around. :thumbsup:

• N7SLC

Posted September 07, 2004 - 06:09 PM

Three more here wanting to join the fun if that is ok. I dont know if there is such a thing as having too many riders.
We have always wanted to ride moab and it would be cool to
go with people who know the way around. :thumbsup:

Nah, that's cool. Just keep in mind that we're gonna be riding some
pavement, so for those that aren't dual-sported, you'll need to stay
tucked in between those of us with plates...

I echo what ddialogue and Indy said...not a race pace, but not a put
in 1st gear either. Some of the sections are very technical but there
is always safety in numbers, right? :devil: Dave and I averaged well
over 100-miles per day.
:awww:

• Dan_from_HB

Posted September 07, 2004 - 06:45 PM

I spent a week in Richfield with our club and rode the Paiute ATV trail system. 140 miles was our high water mark for one day, and there were three or four over 100 miles. Some was pavement and dirt county roads, lots of two track trails, and some very gnarly single track for good measure. Almost all the towns in the area are fine with dirt bikes on the streets and highways (not the freeway). As long as you obey the rules and no 50 mph wheelies down main street, you're probably ok.
We rode into town for gas and food a number of times. You can even ride to the WalMart if you need to.
If you're ever looking for a new experience just west of Moab, try it. We stayed at the KOA campground and rode right from the campsites into the hills. There's even stuff for the little kids and quads are good on the roads and two track.

• jhteneyck

Posted September 08, 2004 - 09:13 AM

I am VERY interest in making the trip as well. Anyone out there for the Jackson Hole Wyoming area thinking of going. Car pool? share gas etc.

• westrider03

Posted September 08, 2004 - 05:53 PM

What do you guys do with your bikes at night so they aren't stolen? Chain and Lock? Do any places offer storage for a couple days down there? :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted September 08, 2004 - 06:03 PM

What do you guys do with your bikes at night so they aren't stolen? Chain and Lock? Do any places offer storage for a couple days down there? :thumbsup:

I've got an enclosed trailer so we just throw our stuff in and lock it overnight. My bro (the electronics wiz) built a homebrew alarm that uses the ground on the trailer. If they trip the alarm (which they would have to take the bikes) the alarm goes off and can't be shut off except from inside the vehicle. If they try to unhitch the trailer, the alarm goes off (not likely to happen though as it will be attached to our RV.) 120db police siren that will wake up the entire friggin' town of Moab!!

• N7SLC

Posted September 08, 2004 - 06:21 PM

What do you guys do with your bikes at night so they aren't stolen? Chain and Lock? Do any places offer storage for a couple days down there? :devil:

I've got an enclosed trailer so we just throw our stuff in and lock it overnight. My bro (the electronics wiz) built a homebrew alarm that uses the ground on the trailer. If they trip the alarm (which they would have to take the bikes) the alarm goes off and can't be shut off except from inside the vehicle. If they try to unhitch the trailer, the alarm goes off (not likely to happen though as it will be attached to our RV.) 120db police siren that will wake up the entire friggin' town of Moab!!

Thanks Dave, I'm flattered. :D

Simple really. I just used an old police type siren with yelp/wail and
wired it via two relays. The ground wire completes the circuit
through one of the relays and when it's cut, the second relay is
engergized and latched. Latched, meaning that if the thief hears the
alarm, and he will he hear it, and tries to put the ground back on
the alarm will continue to wail. Works as designed. :snore:

Oh yeah, one of my better ideas was to use the ground on the
vehicle, so if they try to just steal the whole trailer, :awww: :lol: :D :lol: :D

Wake up the whole town? :thumbsup: The whole campground for sure! :awww:

• ddialogue

Posted September 14, 2004 - 06:36 AM

Just over two weeks to go until it's Moab time again!!

I'm starting to get excited! :thumbsup: :awww: :devil: :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.