Another coolant question

11 replies to this topic
  • redmanrandyed

Posted July 20, 2004 - 12:03 PM

Yet another coolant question. I tried the search filter but thought I would just throw this out there:

I have been running Honda Pro coolant but have been getting gurgling coolant at slow speeds. I am thinking about swithching to EngineIce.
What is better for my piggy, Honda Pro Coolant or Engine Ice?

Thanks in advance, :thumbsup:

Redmanrandyed

• redmanrandyed

Posted July 21, 2004 - 06:45 AM

Good question redmanrandyed,

After much research I would go with neither one. Infact, what I have found to work the best is urine. Yes, just piss in the radiator. Works for me! :thumbsup:

• qadsan

Posted July 21, 2004 - 07:17 AM

Either one will work just fine. Toyota's silicate free red coolant will also work just fine along with many other brands of coolant products. You just don't want to pour in the older green Prestone stuff still that's filled with silicates or use tap water that's filled with minerals.

• JR650

Posted July 21, 2004 - 12:16 PM

I would have to vote for the engine ice, ive got it in my 450 (which boiled bad (slow trails) on honda pro i use in the 650) no more boiling, no signs of it even puking a little bit with engine ice. I think im going to put it in the 650 too. It is pricey though, and you have to completely flush the system with water first to get all the old coolant out, but its worth it. just my .02, JR

• BWB63

Posted July 21, 2004 - 01:24 PM

Prestone® RV Antifreeze
Prestone LowTox® Antifreeze/Coolant
http://www.prestone.com/tips/page2.htm

Amsoil Antifreeze
http://www.amsoil.co...oducts/anf.html

Are the same propylene glycol as Engine Ice but, your not paying for the Deionized Water that you can add yourself or distilled.
http://www.engineice.cc/faq.html
Your paying alot for the packaging and the name. The Prestone is the easiest to find.

• Roll_it_on

Posted July 21, 2004 - 06:59 PM

Does the prestone low tox have the silicates or is that not a part of the PG mix?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted September 08, 2004 - 09:48 AM

Does the prestone low tox have the silicates or is that not a part of the PG mix?

I went on-line and asked the fine folks at Prestone if thier Low Tox product contained silicates. It took a few days, but they finally sent me an e-mail back:

Hello Mr. Attack:
Thank you for your inquiry. To answer your question, Yes. Prestone Low Tox Antifreeze Coolant does contain silicates. If you need additional information please let us know.

Prestone

:thumbsup:

• Roll_it_on

Posted September 09, 2004 - 11:42 AM

JackAttack,

Thanks for the follow up. I was going to go buy some of the Low Tox just to save a few bucks over the bike specific stuff especially if the extra cost was due to marketing hype. Now I'm not so sure :thumbsup:

• JackAttack

Posted September 09, 2004 - 01:47 PM

After I recieved the first reply, I asked them another question:

Does Prestone make a propylene glycol based coolant that does not contain silicates?

Next day, I recieved an e-mail from them saying:

Hello Mr. Attack:
Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in our products. To answer your question our Prestone Low Tox
contains silicates. Unfortunately we do not have a propylene glycol based coolant that does not contain silicates.

Prestone

:thumbsup:

• qadsan

Posted September 09, 2004 - 02:34 PM

The Toyota Red coolant doesn't contain silicates and is fine for our engines along with several other products, but one of the keys is to find a coolant without silicates. Ethylene Glycol based coolants offer some slight cooling advantages over Proylene Glycol, but PG is less toxic. The Honda HP cool isn't all that expensive and it's also a good product.

• BRP27

Posted September 09, 2004 - 03:45 PM

Evans NPG+ This stuff doesnt boil without a radiator cap (no pressure) until over 350 F. Your engine is toast at that temperature. It has no water in it.

• BWB63

Posted September 09, 2004 - 05:57 PM

PG that is in engine ice is in other products. The point I am tring to make is that engine ice is alot of $$$$$ of packaging. You find a nich pump it up with hipe and you have poelpe shelling out major $$$$$ for something and is somewhere else for less. Nology spark plug wire...on the bike I think it started easier!!!!! :thumbsup: and it just maybe but, then again it always started with one kick when tuned.

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, AMSOIL Propylene Glycol Antifreeze/Coolant (ANF) is classified as low silicate and suitable for silicate free specifications.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jim Van

AMSOIL Technical Services

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.