Edelbrock Carb problems - Now fixed, Thanks

6 replies to this topic
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted July 19, 2004 - 05:06 PM

I have a Edelbrock carb on my XR650R for about 4 or 5 months now with no problems until this week. I started my bike and was warming it up like it ran out of fuel. I started it again only it died sooner. I checked the fuel from the tank side and it was flowing just fine. Since a while back I had this same problem only it was water in the fuel tank that blocked the fuel screen in the tank. That was my first assumption this time. Now it will not start at all. I hooked a long fuel line directly to the carb and tried to blow into the carb. I couldn't blow at all it acted like it was plugged. So I have come to 2 possible conclusions.

1) There is a fuel filter or screen built inside the carb which is plugged not letting any fuel by.

2) The bowl is full and the float and needle are preventing me from blowing into the carb. This would mean that my fuel pump is not working.
a) My only problem with this thought is that the bike died while I was holding the rpm up to about 1500 rpm. I didn't think the pump was necassary to keep the bike running at the rpm. It acted like the bowl went dry and wasn't getting anymore fuel.

I guess I won't know for sure till I tear it down. Anyone else have any ideas. I guess I could install my stock carb and be on the road in a matter of hours. I don't want to do that unless there is no choice.

• qadsan

Posted July 19, 2004 - 05:38 PM

First loosen the band clamps and turn the carb a bit sideways so you can remove the bowl if you don't want to remove the whole carb. There may just be crud in the bowl. In the bowl, there's a drilled hole that contains a small pellet that's used as the check valve for the pump circuit. Just pay close attention if you decide to turn the bowl upside down because that little pellet will fall right out and then the pump won't work. Also check the linkage inside the boot to make sure it's not frozen, jammed or broken because it's possible for moisture & crud can get inside and cause problems. If you want to check your accelerator pump, just twist the carb sideways so you can see through it and fully twist the throttle a few times quickly. You should see a healthy squirt. Your bike should run without the pump circuit, so my guess is there's crud in the bowl or something is wrong with the float.

When we were out riding a few weeks ago, my friends 250R wouldn't run worth a crud and would die out quickly. I pulled the bowl and sure enough you could see water in the bowl with the fuel just as you had experienced a while back. We drained the carb and let the fuel run out of the tank petcock for a while and she was good to go again.

I hope it's a simple ordeal for you :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted July 19, 2004 - 06:25 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will check it out.Thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted July 21, 2004 - 07:31 AM

Qadsan, I did not have to take the bowl off. I pulled the brass L fitting that the fuel line attaches to on the carb. To my surprise I found the shut off valve for the fuel is located inside that fitting. It is opened when the gravity pressure of the fuel pushes it. Of course the bowl must be empty or the float tang will keep it closed. My shut off valve simply was not sliding open under the pressure of the fuel even if the bowl was empty. I cleaned it sprayed it with WD-40 put it back together and the bike runs great. :thumbsup:

• JackAttack

Posted July 21, 2004 - 07:40 AM

To my surprise I found the shut off valve for the fuel is located inside that fitting. It is opened when the gravity pressure of the fuel pushes it. Of course the bowl must be empty or the float tang will keep it closed. My shut off valve simply was not sliding open under the pressure of the fuel even if the bowl was empty.

I had the exact same thing happen to mine. I thought that they should have put a light spring on that needle valve to help open it, when the float was not holding it shut. Instead of it relying on the pressure of the fuel in the line to hold it open. :thumbsup:

• qadsan

Posted July 21, 2004 - 12:36 PM

To my surprise I found the shut off valve for the fuel is located inside that fitting

It's good to know you got it fixed without much effort. I didn't know there was a shut off valve was inside that fitting (good to know for the future :thumbsup:).

• mikekay

Posted July 22, 2004 - 07:19 PM

ditto here...both the 'pellet' and the inlet valve can stick. Both are easily cleaned up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.