03 crf grenade

12 replies to this topic
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted August 16, 2002 - 07:25 PM

my friends new 2003 crf450 just grenaded hardcore.You know its bad when bits of the rod blow through the crankcases, lol. anyways, has anyone else heard bout a new bike grenading?
-alex

• yznvegas

Posted August 16, 2002 - 07:27 PM

There was a post on this like 2 or 3 days ago with pics and everything. The guy said it was his bud's like 2nd ride.

• RedRider110

Posted August 17, 2002 - 10:49 AM

All I got to say is I would be pretty pissed off if my new 6,000 dollar investment went KABOOM!!! after one or two rides. I feel for your friend :)

• yznvegas

Posted August 17, 2002 - 11:28 AM

No warranty on a Honda either, at least Yamahas got a 60 day.

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 17, 2002 - 11:58 AM

60 day? Did this increase lately, it was 30 when I got my '01?

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted August 17, 2002 - 11:58 AM

no warranty on a honda? damn my frined will be pissed when he goes to the dealership monday. looks like im gonna have an engine rebuild to do this week.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted August 17, 2002 - 01:33 PM

I am not sure but I thought that there is minimums of 30-day warranty on manufacture defects that all companies must offer>

Anyone :)

If not then this is not good for honda at all
word of mouth kills sales

Udated

I just spoke at length with the owner of the local Honda shop. He states there is "NO" warrenty on any CR models. Its you buy it your on your own.

Unless Honda has a recall then if it breaks 10 minutes into the first ride so waht you out a bike and Honda makes mony on your rebuildsss

GOOOOOO BLUEEEEEEEE

I LOVE MY YAMAHA...

[ August 17, 2002, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• MANIAC998

Posted August 17, 2002 - 02:01 PM

Second day of riding on my brand new '98 YZF 400, I come out of a corner, and BAM! No more motor! Come to find out, it was my fault! I tried to clutch it out of the corner, and mistakenly clutched the Decompressor lever!!! Mr. Valve meet Mr. Piston!!! Seriously bumming, knowing it was my fault. Took it back to the dealer, and Yamaha covered it under warranty anyway!!! Seems to me, that they really want people to be pleased with there bike purchases. And I am!!! Go Blue!!! Maniac :D :) :D

• Wyatt

Posted August 17, 2002 - 04:18 PM

Maniac,

Are you sure that was the cause. I have pulled mine several times with no ill effect.

• therapture

Posted August 17, 2002 - 04:18 PM

Originally posted by E.G.O.****:
I am not sure but I thought that there is minimums of 30-day warranty on manufacture defects that all companies must offer>

Udated

I just spoke at length with the owner of the local Honda shop. He states there is "NO" warrenty on any CR models. Its you buy it your on your own.

U.S. Law states that NO company can sell a defective product, REGARDLESS of it's intended use. A problem like the guy descibed that soon after he got it should be a no brainer to get it covered as a warranty. I know, I got a KX125 covered at the two week mark when it totally trashed the cylinder, piston, rings, and head. All I had to do was ask FIRMLY but POLITELY, and it was done. If you accept "NO" then you deserve to pat it yourself :)

• RedRider110

Posted August 17, 2002 - 04:53 PM

It turns out that the guy who posted last week got his covered by Honda. A clip from the decompressor mechanism failed and fell out or something like that. Read the post in the Honda forum. (It's in this forum too...I didnt see it before) I'm happy for him, I hope your friend is as lucky Alex.

[ August 17, 2002, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: RedRider110 ]

• yznvegas

Posted August 17, 2002 - 05:38 PM

My bad, the Yamahas have a 30 warranty on YZ. In my case the salesman told me if a buy the 426 I get a 6 month warranty because I was thinking about another 250 2-stroke.

Well, that is not the case but the owner of the dealer backed me for 90 days out of his own pocket. Nothing went wrong anyway but it was cool that he stepped up in light of his salesman.

I hope Honda does a good faith repair for your buddy.

• MANIAC998

Posted August 18, 2002 - 01:14 AM

Wyatt. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was caused by me pulling in the decomp lever. I was a nervous novice at the time, so my clutching skills weren't so advanced. I used to pull the clutch all the way in! Of course, at serious engine speeds, doing this WILL make Mr. Valve meet Mr. Piston. And those two are like the Hatfields and McCoy's! They live near one another, yet battle all the time! When they rebuilt the motor, the only bent valve was the one controlled by the decomp lever. God, I'm glad I learned alot since then!!! Maniac :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.