Jumping

6 replies to this topic
  • jmw00

Posted July 19, 2004 - 09:39 AM

Ok i posted this in the riding technique but i get much better response in this forum. Here is my question, since i have had my bike about 5 months now i have not had that many experiences with big air jumps... The one time that i did try this i almost endoed over the front handle bars. :thumbsup: Now that i have seen some of the video post it seems this is a pretty reoccurring crash, most of the video crashes end with someone endoing over the front bars. Can someone please inform me of what is actually happening or what i should not do in order to keep your bikes front end from dipping down and you going over the handle bars. It seems to me that if i was going to crash from a jump i would much rather go off the back instead of over the front.

• Thumpy79

Posted July 19, 2004 - 09:57 AM

You can't let off the throttle on a 4 stroke because of the engine breaking. Keep it steady throughout the jump sequence and you should be okay. Not sure if you've heard about the gyro effect, but if you give the bike gas in the air the rear will drop, if you hit the break the front end drops (the break will drop the front end a lot more than the throttle will bring it up). Proper body positioning is also key, if the jump has a bump on the lip that kicks up your back end you need to stay back on the bike. It just takes practice.

• fastenuf4u

Posted July 19, 2004 - 10:03 AM

jmw00,
I use 2 techniques to stop this from happening. The first is to keep the gas on all the way up the face of the jump and not let off until you are clear of the jump. The downside to this is it can cause the front end to come up.

The other way is to "blip" the throttle right at take off to give the front your bike a bit of "lift" right as you take off. I think this takes a bit more skill since you have to know when is the right time to do it, too early and you may endo too late and it won't help.

4-strokes are notorious for endoing over jumps since most riders coming off of 2 strokes aren't used to the amount of decompression braking that 4 strokes have. It's sort of like hitting your back break when you are wheelying, it causes a similar reaction. Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yak

Posted July 19, 2004 - 10:04 AM

Keeping on the throttle, or at least giving a little "blip" toward the end of the ramp is key. Also, be in a gear that is not already wound out. I'd much rather leave the take-off in early third than deep into second.

• Hamish

Posted July 19, 2004 - 10:27 AM

I'm having a similar drama. My rear shock seems to have very little rebound dampning at the top of the stroke, but plenty in the middle. I'm no suspension guru, but I figure not enough rebound dampning and it will kick the back end up in the air. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Time for a shock servive for me, maybe you should check your shock too.

• id250f

Posted July 19, 2004 - 03:34 PM

ditto ...
1) Steady throttle or a timed "blip" on the face.

2) "Flow" with the bike ... be light on the pegs ... grip with your knees ... just like any kind of jumping ... if you're stiff (on skis ... jumping a creek ... anything), you'll have a rough go ... if you're light and "flowing" with the bike it will make corrections and the overall experience much easier.

• Vet28

Posted July 20, 2004 - 08:00 AM

1) Keep your knees squeezed frimly against your tank.
2) Accelerate off the jump face. If the jump is too big for you to clear and you want to avoid rolling it all together, slow a little before the jump and then accelerate as you near the jump. Alot of riders speed up and slow as they make the final approach...this is bad and painful.
3) Maintain a nuetral body position at first. If a problem occurs (like the front end of diving, get used to moving your body positioning. Obviously, throttle & brake control can help, but this tends to take a little longer to get comfortable with. Take smaller jumps and practice moving your body, even styling, just to get used to doing other things during flight. I practice looking to the side, moving a hand, changing gears, anything to get me used to multi-tasking in the air.

I find the 450 to be very nuetral in the air. I'm sure that with a little practice you'll be clearing any jump you want with ease.

Vet28 :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.