What is diff from the YZ400F to the YZ426F

4 replies to this topic
  • YZ400FPower

Posted July 19, 2004 - 08:06 AM

I mean I know the motor size but what else? I am constantly hearing that alot of parts on these bikes are interchangeable.
I would just like know the major changes between the bikes.

Thanks
keith :thumbsup:

• rsstom

Posted July 20, 2004 - 01:36 PM

Well, there are alot of small differences to the components that make them different but still the same!
The shrouds are different because of the way they mount to the radiators, which are different.
Tank and seat same, rear fender too?
Front number plate mounts differently.
Forks are basically the same. Shock is different (426 has hi speed compression damping).
Wheels are the same.
Crank is different, cylinder of course.
That's about as much as my foggy memory can bear!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZFJT

Posted July 20, 2004 - 04:10 PM

I am assuming the clutch is completely different as well. Rekluse doesn't make a Z-Start for the 400 and says the 426 version will not work.

• Hick

Posted July 20, 2004 - 08:48 PM

I am assuming the clutch is completely different as well. Rekluse doesn't make a Z-Start for the 400 and says the 426 version will not work.

Prolly won't fit inside the cover. The 400 clutch has one fewer plate, and while I'd be surprised if a 426/400 case isn't interchangeable, perhaps the right side cover is deeper on the 426 to allow the extra clutch plate.

I would be similarly surprised if there wasn't some (relatively) easy way to make a Z-Start for a 426 fit the 400 (perhaps by using a 426 right cover).

First and second gear are also taller on the 426 vs. the 400.

• Laurentian

Posted July 21, 2004 - 04:24 AM

I was giving thought at one time to trade my '99 400 for a newer '01 or '02 426. But the bikes are basically the same from '98 to '02. Sure the 426 has better carb and 26 more cc, but I put a 420 kit in mine. Kept same sized rod, stock clutch, ect. No problems. Think fork rake / offset is different too, improved water pump bearing on '99 from '98. Small changes that can be upgraded in most cases. I put an '00 front fender and number plate on mine, White bros. e-series with header, etc. The 400 / 426 were ahead of their time and make great bikes for those who don't make a living on them. I plan on keeping mine for some time yet and may do a Hurricane yellow plastics on it next year to make it feel like a new bike. If you maintain it well ( filter every ride, oil at 4 hours ) it will last as long as you want it. Yes they are 20 pounds too heavy, up side : forces me to train and lift! Also they are cheap to come by. Look up one of Hick's replies here from a few days ago on same subject.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.