WR400 with erratic idling

7 replies to this topic
  • spy

Posted July 19, 2004 - 03:18 AM

Recently have problems with the bike idling. The idle speed is irregular and goes slow,fast,slow fast and then sometimes dies off. Havent had this problem before. My guess is this was caused by water in the air box a few days back. Carb and air filter cleaned thoroughly but its still the same. Any idea what the irregular idle speed suggests and if water causes this kinda problem? While moving i dont experience any problems its just the idling. :thumbsup:

• The_Missile

Posted July 19, 2004 - 03:31 AM

If you all of a sudden have hanging revs which then drop when you blip the throttle
Read the post on the link below.

If you have an old WR read the post anyway !!

Carb Slide Post

• spy

Posted July 19, 2004 - 08:50 AM

i am using an aluminium aftermarket slide so that is not the problem. Anyway i meant normal idling, the rpm goes up and goes down then up again and so on.. by itself :thumbsup:

• Wrfrk

Posted July 19, 2004 - 12:44 PM

What year is the bike?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted July 19, 2004 - 02:43 PM

Sounds like it may be an intake manifold leak. Check for crackes in the rubber and make sure the carb is pushed in all the way and the clamp is snug. Check the hoses from the airbox too. It seems to me that my bike acted up after I had the airbox off and there was a little nib of a hose that wasn't in place. I can't remember exactly which hose it was, but it was a short little nibbly thing.

• spy

Posted July 19, 2004 - 05:57 PM

its a 98 model

• dkwok

Posted August 07, 2004 - 07:54 PM

would a loose spark plug cable to the plug cap cause tis kind of irrugular idle,
correct me if i am wrong, if i could see small sparks flying under the tank it would,
:thumbsup:

• Si_MonK_E

Posted August 08, 2004 - 07:04 AM

just thinking it might be the pilot what is lean.
juts my 0.2

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.