Price just went UP

18 replies to this topic
  • MXOldtimer

Posted August 15, 2002 - 06:38 PM

Since the 03-YZF was changed to a 4 spd I figure my 5 spd 426 YZF just jumped in resale value. Most of the 2 track club wants a MX bike but they don't want a 4 spd. hummmmmmmmmmmm 00-426 YZF for sale but the price is going up quick :)

• Boit

Posted August 16, 2002 - 04:26 AM

Hmmm...if your '00 goes up, so will mine. I'll be watching this thread closely.

• yznvegas

Posted August 16, 2002 - 05:20 AM

Anyone want a nice 02' yz-426 with a 5-SPEED tranny, for about $7,000, cheap considering the current market situation. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 16, 2002 - 07:12 AM

I'll sell my 00 for a measly 9000. :)

• SD900

Posted August 16, 2002 - 08:23 AM

I don't know about the value going up. I tried for a month to sell my 02 426 for $4200, and no bites. Like I was trying to sell a case of the clap. :)

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: SD900 ]

• yznvegas

Posted August 16, 2002 - 08:26 AM

SD900, did you try a national ad or just local?

That bike would been snatched up so fast out here in the west it would have made you feel like you sold it too cheap. Which, by the way, that same bike would probably go for about $5-5500 out here.

• SD900

Posted August 16, 2002 - 08:37 AM

I put in on TT's for sale, dirtrider, cycletrader.com, not even a ph call or email. I also tried locally. Any suggestions? I'm open for them. Thanks.

• mx317

Posted August 16, 2002 - 11:28 AM

What's making the better (more expensive) used bikes so hard to sell is that you can buy a new bike with 0 down, 0 interest, 0 payments for 6 months. The only guy that will buy a used bike that is 4 grand is the guy who can pay cash for it. Also dealers that have leftover 426's are dumping them because everyone wants the new 450. Sell cheap or be prepared to sit on it for a while. Nobody in this area would give close to 5 grand for a used 426.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 16, 2002 - 11:34 AM

I say

For the money that you will spend on getting the 450 7k take the 3 k and rebuild your 426 to a 440 with suspension. Buy titanium bolt kit from yamaha and the air box from dubach

For 3 k you can make one trick 426 and keep it for another couple years

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ben_Dere_Didat

Posted August 16, 2002 - 12:35 PM

I would stay away from those zero down deals. They all convert to more than 16% after the first six months (some of the no payment ones convert after three), so you're still paying some serious interest. Almost any other option for financing is preferable, home equity line (the best because it's deductable), if you don't have home with equity, maybe you can talk mommy and daddy into using it if you cover the interest, a personal loan, hell you can even get credit cards that will cost you less over the life of the loan.

These "deals" exist to facilitate an impulse buy, but think how you'll feel in six months when your new bike is not so shiny and you owe WAY more than it's worth...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 16, 2002 - 02:23 PM

I got pretty lucky.
I got a good "tip" from Martha........UMMMMM I mm mean......A friend of mine........ummmmm
And she........um i mean HE told me that the ENRON stock that I was holding would be better off gone!!! :D !!

:)
I have a 6299 down NO INTEREST loan from my wife!!!
I think there may be some catch though!
something like.........No sex after 6 months???.........Hold on ....I am already being penalized for that!!
Maybe it was cooking my own damn meal after I sneak out ridding???......Ummm NO that cant be it either!! MMMMMM Top Ramen.....MMMMM
:D

• skthom2320

Posted August 16, 2002 - 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Ben Dere Didat:
I would stay away from those zero down deals. They all convert to more than 16% after the first six months (some of the no payment ones convert after three), so you're still paying some serious interest. Almost any other option for financing is preferable, home equity line (the best because it's deductable), if you don't have home with equity, maybe you can talk mommy and daddy into using it if you cover the interest, a personal loan, hell you can even get credit cards that will cost you less over the life of the loan.

These "deals" exist to facilitate an impulse buy, but think how you'll feel in six months when your new bike is not so shiny and you owe WAY more than it's worth...

This is how I bought mine. But I paid it off 30 days before the 6 months was up. No interest or finance charge. I'll do it again. :)

• DoctorRzed

Posted August 16, 2002 - 02:31 PM

Here in NE PA I found a couple of yz426f from 2002s for $4000 and 2001 for $3800. I also found 1999 yz400 for $4500. <Why?

• tripod

Posted August 16, 2002 - 04:20 PM

Confucious say, Ben Dere Didat smart man.

• mx317

Posted August 17, 2002 - 06:02 AM

The 0,0,0 deals can be good or bad depending on the person that uses it. If you can't pay it off in 6 months (or before), you need to stay away from them. I worked at a dealership this summer and a lot of bikes are bought this way. It hurts the dealers used bike sales because it is much harder to finance a used bike. I will be able to pay cash for my bike when it comes in, but I thought about putting that money in the bank letting it draw interest and use the 000 deal. I would then pay it off before the six months were up. I decided that as little interest as the banks pays it was not worth the hassle.

• Ben_Dere_Didat

Posted August 17, 2002 - 10:26 AM

Sure, if you have the cash--and the disipline--to pay off the bike before the interest rate spikes up in six months, you can take advantage of the float on the money and invest it somewhere else. My guess is that it is a very small minority of people who jump into these deals who are in that position.

• mx317

Posted August 17, 2002 - 11:43 AM

I agree with you 100% Ben Dere Didat.

• skthom2320

Posted August 17, 2002 - 01:55 PM

...if you have the cash--and the disipline--to pay off the bike before the interest rate spikes up in six months, ...

It's very easy. :) Get married to a women who is a money-nazi.

My wife absolutely goes ballistic if I pull out money from an ATM that has a $1.50 fee.

We didn't really have the cash when I wanted the bike but I knew we could raise it in about 3 months. Money-nazi very carefully went over the fine print to make sure we could pay it off without any extra fees or interest. Then she paid it. I think the balance was paid in the first two months and remaining $1000 or so that last 30 days.

In all seriousness though, these deals CAN be tricky. Some (but not the Yamaha) have prepayment penalties. ALL of them convert to high interest.

Those guys are right. Don't do it unless you absolutely CAN and DO pay it off.

:D

• Ben_Dere_Didat

Posted August 17, 2002 - 03:37 PM

Cool! I got me one o' them money-nazis in my house also. Does yours ever come into the bedroom in an SS uniform, carrying a riding crop and demand that you get on your knees and....

Oh, sorry. This is starting to get more like one of the threads from the OTHER web forum I frequent.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.