New YZF 426 Owner. a couple questions

6 replies to this topic
  • Ridn_'_Rn

Posted August 15, 2002 - 12:31 PM

Wondering if anyone knows...
1) The size in mm of the top triple clamp nut.
2) Recommend oil type & weight.
3) Anything else a new owner should know.

Thanks and i have already found this website to very helpful.

• motoman393

Posted August 15, 2002 - 12:36 PM

I believe the top nut is 30mm

• Hick

Posted August 15, 2002 - 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Ridn ' Rn:
Wondering if anyone knows...
1) The size in mm of the top triple clamp nut.
2) Recommend oil type & weight.
3) Anything else a new owner should know.

Thanks and i have already found this website to very helpful.

Mobil 1 Synthetic 15-50 is very popular and won't hurt your clutch (some automotive oils labled 'EC' or Energy Conserving have friction modifiers which can cause clutch slippage. Look out for the EC label).

If it is truly a new bike the first few oil changes are critical, I don't think an oil change for every hour of operation over the first four or five hours is overkill at all. If it is a new bike there will be a lot of debris in your oil.

You can reuse the filter, it is made of steel screen or mesh. Just backflush it with something like diesel, filter cleaner, contact cleaner etc. and make sure there aren't any holes in it. OTOH a new filter is only around eleven bucks.

If you are used to two strokes stalling, and then restarting, may prove frustrating to you. Once you become accustomed to it a properly jetted bike should be easy to restart.

This is a great place to get ahead of the curve, be sure to take advantage of all the great advice about the 426 that is available here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted August 15, 2002 - 01:52 PM

The first thing to know is how to use the search function in the upper right below "new post."

I would use this and enter the following terms in (separate searches): new bike, new owner, what oil, which oil

I guarantee hours of reading after that! I use Mobil like Hick suggested but there is nothing wrong with Yamalube 4 or 4R. You can get both of them for much better prices than your dealer through I also see a new Valvoline motorscycle specific available at Autozone for reasonable cost. Other than that, your search will show you that there are probably as many oils being used by us as there are differences in tire choice. The only really thing you have to be careful about is to use an oil that does not say "energy conserving" on the API label and to change the oil often.

If you still have questions after searching, ask 'em!

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 15, 2002 - 03:17 PM

Follow the manual, it's very good and won't steer you wrong. :)

• Ridin'_MD

Posted August 15, 2002 - 07:34 PM

1. Never underestimate the greatness of looking fast while riding slow - your riding buddy will be thankful. :D (especially now that you have the smoking fast bike)

2. Now that you have a four stroke, try to forget about all the times I roosted you - remember, ROLL IT ON. :)

• phrog03

Posted August 15, 2002 - 08:03 PM

Mobile 1, the nut is a 30mm and ZipTy has alot of what you need and people to help you with ?

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  131 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.