650R vs. KX500

14 replies to this topic
  • wickedsprint

Posted July 18, 2004 - 03:39 PM

If one canlegally convert both to street legal status, what would be the advantages tot he 650R if for a grand less you can have 65hp out the door with an easy to work on engine? Anything the 650R can do very well that would make it an easy choice over a KX500?

• BWB63

Posted July 18, 2004 - 04:23 PM

XR650R can last through a 10 hour race :D
It is true the KX500 is faster and a better desert bike :awww: It just requires more maintanance and sometimes at the wrong time :lol: and if your not worried about fixing it you will have one balls to the wall bike :lol: The green team has the money to make it stay together where most just can't pull that off.
It is a major thrill to ride or race....when you pull the throtle your gone if you can shift fast enough :cheers: .....when in fifth it will stand straight up when ever you want it to. The problem I have with it.....the BRP fix's to a point. Once it(KX500)starts to get just a little tight it becomes a monster in a cage and just wants out :thumbsup: There is just sooooooooo much that it need lots of room.When the power comes on it's on....all of it. The BRP is way more controlable, even power, low, high, where ever.... but, has the draw back of the extra weight. If your a weekend worrior the KX500 gets to be a pain, inless you only play in the wide open. If you cut your teeth on the KX500 it's hard to be scared of anything.........I loved it when I was young and stupid....but, now that I am old and stupid I think I can make a pig fly :lol:
The biggest draw back that the KX500 has is that it's GREEN :devil:
Green because you spend so much money keeping it running that it turns green.
I hate the green party. :lol: :D

• Naru

Posted July 18, 2004 - 04:47 PM

Gas, for one. When your ~100 miles from home and need to fill up at your local gas station, your going to be out of luck unless you carry oil with you. And let me tell you, if on the way there you happen to fall on the oil bottle (if your carrying it in a backpack), you will not be happy (had it happen many times).

The other reason I can think of is comfort. The BRP is much more comfortable (at least for me). Then again, the KX500 is a motocross bike, and the BRP is a track bike.

If your going to get a 500, at least get the Service Honda CR500AF. For what it looses in price, it makes up in reliability over the green machine, as well as far supperior handling in tighter situations.

• wickedsprint

Posted July 18, 2004 - 05:22 PM

Guys, thank you for the advice. I do remeber two strokes being a pain in my youth, I guess they have not gotten much better. Myfather always said when people finally got smart again 4 strokes would make a comeback...guess he was right. So the 650R uncorked, is it still gonna be pretty quick? I am not a huge fan of anything technical, I just like wide open blasts on fireroads type riding and sand roads..which we have alot of here.

• Naru

Posted July 18, 2004 - 05:41 PM

Though it may not be as fast as a KX500 even in uncorked trim, the uncorked BRP is still very, very fast. One of my favorite traits of the XR is that with it's extremely linear powerband combined with incredible torque, powerslides on wide turns come extremely easy, which is a ton of fun on fire roads and in sand. I purchased my BRP about 10 months ago, and just got done selling my CRF450, 2 of my 250 2-strokes and my CR500, simply because I found myself using the BRP far more often out in the open desert and on open trails than any of the other bikes. Probably the only other bike I'd suggest would be the KTM 520 EXC... if you can street legal a KX500, you can street-legal the 520, which is incredibly fast and quite a bit lighter than the BRP. But the reliability will most definately go down, and the highway ride will not be very good in comparison. Oh yeah, and the cost. :thumbsup: Just a thought.

• smashinz2002

Posted July 18, 2004 - 06:41 PM

Ok, I can tell you about BOTH bikes, because I have one of each! A 2000 XR650R (uncorked/jetted), and a 2004 KX500.
1. The KX500 IS quicker than the XR650R, but the XR is
faster at top speed (both being geared stock)
2. Both bikes seem to be extremely reliable, I've never had
any problems with either bike.
3. Powerband: XR is smooth as silk and predictable (but
still brutally powerful), and easy to control
KX is the opposite; the power (all of it), is
either "on", or it is not "on". In other words
this bike is a light switch. Bike is extremely
fun to ride but requires practice and skill.
4. Comfort: I have to give the KX the nod here, since it's
nice, soft seat, and soft, plush suspension make
it very comfortable to ride. Vibration is
horrible however, and will tire your hands after
a while.
The XR's seat is hard as a rock and the bike
rides pretty rough. But, since there is almost
no vibration, the XR is not really tiring, even
with the hard seat and rough ride.
5. Streetability: The XR wins here hands down; it makes an
excellent dual sport bike and works well
on the street.
The KX, well I wouldn't have the balls to
even try riding that thing on pavement,
which would mean full traction, and I
don't think I want to know what the KX500
will do with full traction, thanks, but
no thanks. The bike is just too light and
high strung to risk that, in my opinion.
Overall, if you want a good, reliable, and very powerful bike that you can use for dual sporting, GET THE XR650R! Trust me, it's got PLENTY of power, it's reliable, and can be made street legal very easily!
LL.
Posted Image Posted Image

• wickedsprint

Posted July 18, 2004 - 07:19 PM

Wow, thanks. I have emailed the DOT office in Wyoming about their policy on converting the titles of offroad bikes to legal titles. I know here in california there are a ton of KX500s that have been made street legal since they used to be green sticker bikes and calis loophole allowed all green sticker to get tags and titles. I am very interested to see wyomings policy on this. The biggest two stroke I rode was a CR250 and it was snappy, I can't imagine riding that on the street let alone with 65hp coming on at once. How often does the 650R need to be torn downa nd rebuilt? I know honda put it on the dyo for 120 hours of wide open throttle testing or something brutal to that effect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted July 19, 2004 - 02:23 PM

I also own both bikes. Over the long distance the XR650R will overtake the KX500. That was proven in a magazine test of the KX500, XR650R and the KTM 525. They were basically stock bikes except for sprockets. They were allowed to strip anything off the bikes to make them lighter. The XR650 won out over the KX500 and the 525, by a significant amount. If I remember right it finally topped out at over 120 miles per hour. But who rides like that? Not me.

The XR650R is the most reliable and maintenence free bike you will ever get except for maybe the air cooled XRs.

The KX500 can be made to work like a four stroke almost. There are tricks that do not cost a lot to tame its power a bit and make it easier to ride. It then becomes an awsome trail bike. My KX500 is dual sported but I never ride it on any roads except logging roads which require dual sporting. And then I only do this to get from one single track trail head to another.

If your after a bike that cost very little to maintain, is easy to ride, even in single track, once you train yourself to ride a heavier bike in the tight stuff. Get the XR650R.

If maintainence is not issue and you can afford it, get the 525. My preference for the most amount of fun, own all three. :thumbsup:

• Rokatt88

Posted July 19, 2004 - 02:31 PM

My preference for the most amount of fun, own all three. :thumbsup:

He does have a point! :devil:

• wickedsprint

Posted July 19, 2004 - 02:37 PM

I just want something that will flat out haul ass on fireroads type riding and is pretty dependable. I hate slow going technical crap. The weight is not an issue as my last bike was an XR650L, and to be honest it was pretty sluggish, bit to its defense I think it was the jetting. Never got it worked out, it was stolen shortly after I broke it in.

• Rokatt88

Posted July 19, 2004 - 03:59 PM

I just want something that will flat out haul ass on fireroads type riding and is pretty dependable.

Then you're all set...Get the XR650R. There's a fire road waiting for you... :thumbsup:

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted July 19, 2004 - 05:40 PM

I have been riding the pig for 3 years (all desert) and if your haulin down fire roads it is the machine. Last September I wanted something a bit lighter and bought a 2001 KX500. It was definitely a nail biter with the power. The front end would come up with the crack of the throttle in any gear. I ended up frying the piston and rings at high speed in a sand wash. I then decided to get rid of it as I didn't want to deal with the maintenance and bought a new CRF450. For the last 6 months I have been alternating back and forth between the pig and the 450. I like the pig but seem to have more "fun" on 450 because of its weight, agility, and comfort. If its fire roads or high speed sand washes then mount the pig, for everything else put a 450 underneath you. :thumbsup:

T-Diddy

• smashinz2002

Posted July 19, 2004 - 05:49 PM

WickedSprint, yep, now that I know what kind of riding you're wanting to do (high speed fire road/fast trails), I say, GET THE XR650R for sure! And by the way, the 650L is NO comparison in the power department, I think you're going to be suprised by how much power the 650R has. That motor is Suh-weeeet ~!
As far as how long you can ride a 650R before the engine needs to be rebuilt, well, I can tell you this much. My bike has over 5,000 miles on it, much of that on the street, and no, I have not "babied" the engine, I run it hard because it's fun! But I do maintain it religiously. As of right now, it still does not need rings, compression is still great, and I've kept the valves adjusted on schedule (but most of the time they didn't even need it, or needed only very minor adjustment). And I do believe that frequent oil changes and air filter cleanings are very important.
It's a very reliable engine, keep in mind it's just a single cam, four valve design, nothing too fancy here. But it runs like a big block 454, torque, torque, and more torque! And it's not that "soft" torque like the 650L, it's a very abrupt, chunky type of power, beginning right off idle at the slightest crack of the throttle. You'll like it.
LL. Posted Image

• don87xr600

Posted July 19, 2004 - 06:02 PM

Wow, thanks. I have emailed the DOT office in Wyoming about their policy on converting the titles of offroad bikes to legal titles. I know here in california there are a ton of KX500s that have been made street legal since they used to be green sticker bikes and calis loophole allowed all green sticker to get tags and titles. I am very interested to see wyomings policy on this. The biggest two stroke I rode was a CR250 and it was snappy, I can't imagine riding that on the street let alone with 65hp coming on at once. How often does the 650R need to be torn downa nd rebuilt? I know honda put it on the dyo for 120 hours of wide open throttle testing or something brutal to that effect.

Why email a federal agency to ask about state policy?

• wickedsprint

Posted July 19, 2004 - 07:46 PM

Again guys, thanks for the plethora of advice. I initially could not find a decent DMV site for the town I am moving to and they have a email link off the DOT office in regards to vehicle registration. Remember the capitol of wyoming only has 50,000 people. I then came across another counties dmv site that had some good info and today I actually talked to a bunch of nice people there. The process is basically they issue all dirtbikes a title and a plate if you want it, 4 wheelers included, no inspection, but it is your butt if you get pulled with no lights..etc. They also said they do NOT putt offroad only on the title so it should make future state registration a breeze.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.