2005 WR450

18 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted July 18, 2004 - 02:08 PM

I was looking on Yamaha's website and noticed that the 2005 has a 20 mm or 1.2 inch lower seat height. What ever the right number is that would be nice! I like my WR but it is tall in the woods. It also has slimmer gas tank and radiator shrouds.

• ncmountainman

Posted July 18, 2004 - 04:06 PM

being 6'4" i was praising the japanese for finally making a bike that fit me! now they went and lowered it,well i'm just glad i got mine when i did. i guess the vertically challenged will like it this way!

• YamahaSteve

Posted July 18, 2004 - 05:56 PM

being 6'4" i was praising the japanese for finally making a bike that fit me!

I hear ya man! I am 6'3" and I love the size of my '04. Fits me perfectly and I was a bit bummed when I heard they made it smaller... I guess I will have to be happy with the WR I have now... :thumbsup:

• sabin

Posted July 18, 2004 - 08:38 PM

I will like if bikes to come S, M, L, XL and XXL :thumbsup:

• Tucker99

Posted July 19, 2004 - 06:11 AM

Hey you tall guys!! Yea, I just got my 04 about a week and a half ago. Heard they were going to make them shorter. So I made the leap. I'm 6'4 also. Did either of you guys add a tall seat or change the stocker?? Seat feels a little hard on the tush!!

• ncmountainman

Posted July 19, 2004 - 07:22 AM

i've lowered my pegs and raised my bars ,and have not been able to take it for a real ride yet(since those mods) to make the seat decision. are the tall seats just more foam or is the seat frame actually taller also?

• sabin

Posted July 19, 2004 - 08:40 AM

Just more foam.

• tigerowner_ut

Posted July 19, 2004 - 12:32 PM

I could handle the lower seat height. My WR is great but i am getting tired of falling over because I can't get my feet to the ground.

• r1superstar

Posted July 19, 2004 - 12:37 PM

Hmmm......I'm 6'-0" and my '02 is perfect. I also love the larger fuel tank. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SMD

Posted July 19, 2004 - 05:30 PM

Beezer its somewhat confusing buy I believe that slimmer gas tank and radiator shrouds came at the expense of reduced fuel capacity. 2.5 gal.in my opinion was perfect for 70 to 75 mile single track loops.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 19, 2004 - 05:35 PM

Beezer its somewhat confusing buy I believe that slimmer gas tank and radiator shrouds came at the expense of reduced fuel capacity. 2.5 gal.in my opinion was perfect for 70 to 75 mile single track loops.

I'm with you. I think Yamaha is starting to lose sight of what a x-country bike is is supposed to be. Heck I can run the 2.5 gal tank dry in 50 miles if I'm on it hard in the open desert.

• r1superstar

Posted July 19, 2004 - 06:04 PM

I'm with you. I think Yamaha is starting to lose sight of what a x-country bike is is supposed to be. Heck I can run the 2.5 gal tank dry in 50 miles if I'm on it hard in the open desert.

And my '02 will take me 80-90 miles at race pace through the desert and trails. I do believe Yamaha wanted to get more of the riders weight over the front tire so the WR would corner better.

• sabin

Posted July 19, 2004 - 09:19 PM

David,

when you stop get your but off the seat to the side and your feet will not be short that way, if you understand me what I mean...

• beezer

Posted July 20, 2004 - 03:27 AM

I'm 6-1 and the bike is tall. Some of the single track we ride is all rock. Sometimes you need to be 6-7 to keep the bike upright. If I was riding in the desert I don't think the height would bother me. But since I have never ridden the desert I don't know what I'm talking about. But that never stopped me from given an opinion.

Besides I don't need a new bike but I want one.

• r1superstar

Posted July 20, 2004 - 05:23 AM

I'm 6-1 and the bike is tall. Some of the single track we ride is all rock. Sometimes you need to be 6-7 to keep the bike upright. If I was riding in the desert I don't think the height would bother me. But since I have never ridden the desert I don't know what I'm talking about. But that never stopped me from given an opinion.

Besides I don't need a new bike but I want one.

In the tight trails my '02 is quite fine. Again, I'm six foot. Perhaps it's just the rider. (After all, it is 90% rider and 10% machine).

• ncmountainman

Posted July 20, 2004 - 05:30 AM

after coming off a xr600r i'd say its the opposite 90 machine and 10 rider i've at least doubled my speed by just buying a new bike! alot of people have that its not the poolstick but the shooter attitude ,ever shoot with a meucci?

• beezer

Posted July 20, 2004 - 08:13 AM

Maybe you could give me riding lessons!

Or I could get training wheels.

Or maybe west coast tight and east coast tight are two
different things.

East coast tight is Britney Spears, West Coast is Rosie O'Donnell.

• Sylvain

Posted July 20, 2004 - 01:25 PM

I certainly agree with that. I added a 3.4 gallon tank with a YZ seat on my wr and I couldn't be happier with my set up. When I keep the tank less than half full it gives me a low center of gravity, and when I go for longer ride, the extra capacity is a big plus. :thumbsup:.

Companies have to produce light powerful and nimble bikes to appeal the customers. They have to cut corners somewhere. The first thing a serious dirt biker will add most of the time is a bigger tank. For people using their machine as play bike the fuel capacity should be OK.

But we should have options when we buy a new bike. Tall/short seat, wide/narrow/high/low handlebar, smaller/bigger fuel tank, etc... We already do it, over a period of time, and at extra costs. :devil:

• ncmountainman

Posted July 20, 2004 - 01:37 PM

i'm just glad we have so many options today back when started riding there wasn't a whole lot you could do except ride it like ya stole it!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.