What would you PAY !!

25 replies to this topic
  • John_Lorenz

Posted August 15, 2002 - 02:42 AM

Question Just curious

What would you pay to keep your powerband as it is (no loss or change) but down the db level 90db or below?

Im in one of thse HUmmmmm Moods this morning :)

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• kfrosty

Posted August 15, 2002 - 02:45 AM

Not sure I'd pay more to modify my current bike but I may pay a little more for a new purchase. However, noise where I live and ride to this point hasn't been an issue.

Something manufacturers should work on in my opinion though.

• MOmilkman

Posted August 15, 2002 - 03:33 AM

uh,.... you'd have to pay me to make my bike that quiet.

BAAAAAAARRRRRRAP!

• flyinguitars

Posted August 15, 2002 - 03:48 AM

Id pay a few hundred. Ive been hoping and waiting to see a sound reduction system related to the noise cancelling headsets that are used in avation. Im sure any of the pilots here who have used them will vouch that they really are amazing. As I understand the process, they generate an identical sound that is out of phase with the sound targeted for reduction and amplify it. This doesnt eliminate the sound, but it reduces it. I read about the idea to use this technique on cars a couple years ago, but to my knowledge, an electronic auto exhaust sound reduction system isnt available yet.
Ego, I think I remember reading that you have a background in live sound....if thats the case, Im sure you'd understand the process if your not already familiar with it.
Mike

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 15, 2002 - 03:57 AM

flyinguitars
Not sure what you read and where, but the only sound back ground I have is when I eat at the local TacoRia Posted Image

I do have experiance in building sound studio's. so I am familure with sound deading material.
But what you are explaining is the same theroy of white noise in buildings. White noise is pumped into an area to match the acoustics in that given area, it is as you say equalizing the sound preasure giving the impact or QUITE (cancels out)

I would just want to know what would one pay to get a bike down to 90db

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Bambislayer

Posted August 15, 2002 - 04:47 AM

The noise canceling that you are speaking about has been applied to the new crop of airliners like the 777 and the CRJ(which i think is the quietest). They use different convergent and divergent ducts in addition to the ones already there to lower the db to comply with the FAA. This I do not think will ever see its way to cars, but maybe bikes sometime. I say this because cars are not loud now. why not? because there exhausts are extremely efficient because they are also extremely heavy. heavy does not work on airlanes but on cars it matters not. maybe on ultra high performance cars and bikes it could be a good application to tradeoof the weight with. I too hope they do something about the noise because it will kill the sport on public property. Why the public tolerates Harleys and not dirtbikes though is whole other concern which pisses me off, but don't get me started. the ANR headsets are awesome; the Bose is the best

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 15, 2002 - 04:57 AM

Maybe I desearve this but :)

I asked
What would you pay to keep your powerband as it is (no loss or change) but down the db level 90db or below?

Just give me what you think it would be worth to ya
PLEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEE :D

• SaNdSliNGer

Posted August 15, 2002 - 05:04 AM

500$ just for slip on, Not to me though but I am sure a lot of people would pay it

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 15, 2002 - 05:14 AM

If the power were left as-is and they could cut the noise down significantly I would pay several hundred. If noone can hear me riding then noone will want to kick me off the land. :)

• NORCALRIDE

Posted August 15, 2002 - 05:15 AM

I would pay the same as I pay now for the current exhaust systems. I would pay much more though to get the greenies to go away and forget all about this sound testing stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyinguitars

Posted August 15, 2002 - 05:18 AM

I said I pay a few hundred.....sorry If I derailed your topic, but Ive seen you turn plenty of topics into jokes, flames, arguments, etc.....It gets annoying when your really interested in learning or discussing something.

Bamibi: I think I remember reading that the auto application was to increase performance and reduce flow restriction....looked pretty cool...just a straight pipe back from the converter with a speaker right near the tip.
Mike

• Dodger

Posted August 15, 2002 - 05:21 AM

I wouldn't pay the dealer anything.........

I would pay a couple hundred to the manufacturer.......

But for you EGO, it's gotta be worth $400........ :)

In all seriousness, I suppose it would be right in line with one of those loud ones currentely in the market. It's the same thing, just going the opposite direction, quieter with same power vs. louder with same power. I think it would be awsome to be able to stealth these bikes around, expecially in town. Last thing I need is to bring attention to my urban wheelies :D !!

Dodger :D :D

• MadMikeRowan

Posted August 15, 2002 - 05:31 AM

$1.69

• Hick

Posted August 15, 2002 - 07:28 AM

Since I've already paid almost $600 to have my powerband not really changed whilst ADDING a few Dbs, and I've also paid almost $400 to really damage my powerband whilst getting down to around 96 Db (just a guess on FMF Q), albeit temporarily, then I guess I'll say I'd easily spend $750 for stock power and 90 Db....

...unless it involved a bunch of extra weight.

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: Hick ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 15, 2002 - 07:30 AM

I forgot to mention that I would even accept a couple of extra pounds if they can keep it quiet without hurting the power. If our bikes were so quiet that no one could hear it 100 yards away then that would cut the complaints from the general public at least in half, in my area anyway.

• DaveJ

Posted August 15, 2002 - 07:11 PM

It sounds like EGO has an invention sitting in his garage.

Perhaps this is a marketing quesion.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 15, 2002 - 07:38 PM

:) Bob..........
I think...........HMMMM
BOB......
I'llllll.........bid ........ONE dollar .BOB
ONe dollar!!
THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!! :D

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 16, 2002 - 02:40 AM

DaveJ
Check you PM Please

• Boit

Posted August 16, 2002 - 04:04 AM

I'd pay $300 if my ex-wife must move 900 miles away as part of the deal.

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: Boit ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 16, 2002 - 04:13 AM

LOL your on, working on it :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.